Long Island ALCO Century 420 in construction.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Re: Long Island ALCO Century 420 in construction.

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Are those comments about the power lines for real? Scary! Any more details about the failed bearing, just for our collective knowledge?
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Yup, that's what happened to my locomotive, although I would add, nobody else had train problems. Mine was unique, and especially when the batteries were low. And yes, the hair on my arms stood up while I passed near the humming power lines!

Regarding the axles, two failed because the sealed roller bearings worked off the ends. At first it was not noticeable, but then derailments revealed the loosened frames. After separating the truck parts, we found the ends of the steel axles had ground down to points! The aluminum journal boxes were, overall, bearing little damage. As the new axles were turned, we drilled and tapped the ends, placing a washer and screw to hold the bearings in location. Thank God for the friends we met on the road!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Just two update photos for you. This is my friend, Jonathan Tse, college student from Toronto, running 206 at Soc. Model Railroaders of Quebec (SMFQ), at St. Foy, Quebec City, this past weekend.
You might notice, I've added 15 inches extension to the center of the P54 coach. Note "Helena" riding the back platform, too.

"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."