1" Scale Knuckle Coupler

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Builder01

1" Scale Knuckle Coupler

Post by Builder01 »

I am mounting a standard 1" scale knuckle coupler and I am not sure how far it should protrude from the mounting tube. What dimension should this be, as indicated in the photo?

Thanks, David
DSCN1617 - reduced & labeled.jpg
ccvstmr

Re: 1" Scale Knuckle Coupler

Post by ccvstmr »

David...I don't model in 1" scale...so, take this for what it's worth. It's kind of hard to know what you're working with...when there's no ruler with the photo you provided. Can't tell what the distance is between the back of your coupler and the edge of your center sill.

In prototype RR practices, there are many different mfgr's of couplers, draft gears, etc. I saw a reference several times in a Car Builder's Cyclopedia of 3" between the back of the coupler and the face of the draft gear or striker plate.

In 1" scale, that would be 1/4". However, I would think anything from 1/4 to 1/2" would be more than acceptable. If your train derails, you might want to have a little extra space between cars. You'll also want to make sure that whatever device you're using to secure the coupler...does not interfere with the end sill or anything else near the car end. Things to think about. Hope this helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I have not yet mounted the coupler in the tube. The coupler will move left to right in the tube when going around curves. I don't want it to rub the sides of the mounting tube. There is no face plate or anything fancy, the end of the square tube that the coupler assembly fits into is the finished end. For scale in the photo, the square tube is 1" across the flats.

David
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

That measurement is about 5/8" on mine. The distance from the tube end over the closed knuckle is about 1.75".
John Brock
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Okay, sounds good, thanks! I have also gotten a few other responses on another forum, and it looks like I need to check a few things before I commit to exactly where I mount the coupler in the tube.

Thanks again,
David
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

David,
What you really need is some side motion of about 1 " to the right / left in curves! Thus I recommend using the standard hole of the coopler and choose a proper position for the bolt to assure the needed side play in the tube. Depends on length of the frame and center of the truck.
Distance between coupler and mounting tube is more a question of modeling yet.
(Experiance with models for 5 " gauge as N&W class A 1239 and hopper cars)

Asteamhead
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Yes, I am aware of the side motion. These couplers are typically mounter inside a 1" steel square tube. I have done this. I have received a bit more information on the 1" scale Facebook forum. Looks like the dimension I am asking about, is on average, 7/16". This is what I needed to know.

Thanks for all that helped,
David