Need a Quiet 12v Air compressor

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Need a Quiet 12v Air compressor

Post by ccvstmr »

Years ago, purchased an air ride compressor for Cadillac's (I think) from a hobby supplier. Ran that for a few years then sold the compressor to someone else. Why? Those compressors were battery hogs. They drew down the battery quickly.

Started using compressors from 12 volt Campbell Hausfeld portable compressors. Could move air quickly. Didn't drain the battery so fast. Was "somewhat" quiet. The compressor air output "barb" could be drilled/tapped for a 10-32 Clippard tubing barb...and the rest as they say was history as far as having a compressed air system for straight air brakes. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Mine is a ride height compressor out of a Ford product. Was bought at a junkyard for $30. It is super quiet and I have the pressure switch set at 60psi. Overkill I know, but with a small reservoir, it helps overcome leaks and such in the trainline and cylinders etc. If I start the day with a fully charged standard deep cycle battery, it will run that compressor and my headlight and marker lights for upwards of 6+ hours and the battery is ~45-50% discharged. It works for me.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Don't forget having LED lights makes a big difference.

I've found leaks aren't much of a problem if you use all clippard components for the air system.
The fewer leaks - the less it will be pumping.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I am running the Viair 444c in the tender sitting on rubber feet. i can hear it run when i am sitting, but when i am running. I feel it more then i hear it. the key is low pressure (80 psi off, 60 psi on) and small air tanks.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

would the 444c be small enough to fit in a water leg or in a box under the tank between trucks?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Berkman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm would the 444c be small enough to fit in a water leg or in a box under the tank between trucks?
water leg,, maybe, under the tank. likely not,
they are a good size unit.
I have a vandy, and it the battery and other support items live in the oil bunker "area"
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.