1.5" scale vs 2.5" scale - which do you like and why?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Jawn

1.5" scale vs 2.5" scale - which do you like and why?

Post by Jawn »

I'm a little ways from beginning any major projects yet, but have been thinking about what I want to do. There's project ideas appealing to me in both 2.5" scale and 1.5" scale (7.5" gauge). It looks like there's less stuff available in 2.5" scale, and what there is costs more. But it's bigger. Bigger is better. :mrgreen:

Which 7.5" gauge scale do you like, and why?
redneckalbertan

Re: 1.5" scale vs 2.5" scale - which do you like and why?

Post by redneckalbertan »

What locomotive are you building? And what gauge track did it run on? In 1.5" scale 7.5" gauge is approximately correct for standard gauge track. Some people model narrow gauge engines which gives us the 2.5" scale then the track gauge of 7.5" is correct for 36" gauge narrow line.

1.5 X
---- = ----- X is 7.0625
12 56.5

1.6 X
---- = ----- X is 7.5333333
12 56.5

2.5 X
---- = ----- X is 7.5
12 36

3 X
---- = ----- X is 7.5
12 30

Well, the above didn't turn out as well as I had hoped... It's supposed to be cross multiplication to show the scale and track gauge... It looks great in the editor! Just in case anyone wanted to know.
Last edited by redneckalbertan on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

I'm familiar with what makes each scale use 7.5" gauge track, and I have different potential projects in mind for both scales (narrow gauge 2.5" and standard gauge 1.5/1.6"). I'm just curious what everyone else prefers.
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

I like to think of it as do you want big? Or bigger? Also, do you want narrow gauge or standard gauge models. I'm building a 1.5" scale steamer and it's a little under four feet long and a foot wide. The equivalent locomotive in 2.5" scale would probably be a few feet longer, wider, and taller.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
Fender

Post by Fender »

OK, to answer your question, I like both, but like 2.5" the best. Narrow gauge has a special charm, perhaps because of the places it originally ran and the diminutive equipment size. Also, many industrial RRs such as logging lines were built to 36" gauge, often using obsolete equipment cast off from other lines that were converted to standard gauge, and such RRs have a special appeal. Generally the equipment is more ergonomically-friendly to the operator, since the cab is larger and the tender wider, as compared to 1.5" scale equipment with similar mechanical (boiler, drivers and cylinders) proportions.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I'm with Dan, I like both and can't choose. I'm closest to finishing a Shay in 2.5" scale. What I really like about 2.5" is also like Dan, the size of the cab. I think they are much easier to run than the 1.5"/1.6" because you can get your hands in there easier. That said, I also have several 1.5"/1.6" projects lined up because I like them.
John Brock
jabsteam

Post by jabsteam »

I like 2.5 scale, but now that I'm old it's too big for me to handle. I don't have a home track, and traveling to tracks with large equipment is getting to be too much work.
So now I'm starting over in 1.5/1.6 scale, staying with smaller engines.
Ideally, I would like to do Narrow Gauge in 1.5 scale running on 4.75 gauge track. The right size for a 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 engine, and somehow the 4.75 track LOOKS more like Narrow Gauge.
But not many build in that Narrow Gauge scale...
Eaton Huskie electric critter
Super Roo electric critter
Sold off all steam locos when coal burning was banned, hate propane.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

jabsteam wrote: Ideally, I would like to do Narrow Gauge in 1.5 scale running on 4.75 gauge track.
That is a nice size, as you can use the many available 1.5/1.6" detail parts. We've got a couple folks in our club building in that size, there's at least a 2-8-2, a 2-6-0, a diesel and a Shay completed, with a 2-8-0 under construction. But you are right, the places you can run are few.
John Brock
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I like standard gage on 7.5" track. I do like the narrow gage, but things like trucks, couplers, detail parts, etc... are more expensive and there is less stuff available. That being said, more stuff seems to become available fairly frequently, so things are catching up. One of the Main things to me, my trailer will handle, on the floor level, a medium size locomotive and tender, and about 7 freight cars in 1 1/2" scale. I could probably only get about 1 locomotive, the tender, and about 4 cars in 2 1/2" scale. Also, I can re-rail a 1 1/2" scale car by myself really easily.

Besides, I've got so much time and money invested in 1 1/2" scale, that I wouldn't think about switching over to 2 1/2" scale.

I also happen to like standard gauge models. Like the narrow stuff too, but prefer std. gauge.

My main advice would be to pick a scale and then stick with it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

jabsteam wrote:I like 2.5 scale, but now that I'm old it's too big for me to handle. I don't have a home track, and traveling to tracks with large equipment is getting to be too much work.
So now I'm starting over in 1.5/1.6 scale, staying with smaller engines.
Ideally, I would like to do Narrow Gauge in 1.5 scale running on 4.75 gauge track. The right size for a 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 engine, and somehow the 4.75 track LOOKS more like Narrow Gauge.
But not many build in that Narrow Gauge scale...
We have a raised track with 4.75" track on it if your interested in a road trip. Don't know if there are any weight restrictions on it. Mostly small British engines run on it at the club. http://www.ironhorsepark.net
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I chose a 2-1/2" scale locomotive because it is far more simple to build than a 1-1/2" model of comparable size and weight. I can build an 0-4-0 instead of a 4-6-2, for example - less wheels, simple suspension etc.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I have 1", 1.5" and 2.5" scales. I prefer the smaller because it is far easier to move around and I can fit more equipment into my truck. The smaller sized feel more like modeling to me, but some guys love the feeling of working on a flu-size loco so they go bigger. As I get older, I like being able to move my stuff around easier with the smaller stuff. AS I get older, I appreciate the more comfortable ride of the larger.

As you can see, there is no one perfect scale, just what tradeoffs you prefer over the others to make the size that's right for you.
Matt Mason