Behind the Scenes at Kosters

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Behind the Scenes at Kosters

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That railroad over in the mountains of N.C. is VERY nice. It was extremely well maintained and really fun to run. Has completely automatic block signaling system. It is a mountain railroad, and has sharp curves and a lot of grades. If I remember correctly, starting from his house and going down hill, there are only two spots where I needed to use any throttle at all. The rest of the time you were coasting or riding your brakes. The opposite was true when going up hill. It was power all the way except for about two spots. The ruling grade was about 2 1/2% or so for a good long stretch, probably 350 to 400 feet before it eased to about 1% or so, then it was around the sharp curve and back to a 2% grade or more. There was one spot that was about 8% grade, but it was only for about 15 to 20 feet, so you could get up enough momentum to make it up that spot. Fun and challenging! The scenery is absolutely beautiful.

The curves were about 20 foot min radius, but his equipment was built to take that... at least the 4 axle units were. That was what would run there: Pretty much any 4 axle diesel, and some 4 coupled steamers, or any type of geared steamer. My 0-4-0 didn't have any trouble whatsoever there, but anything with trucks on it, unless it was a small 4-4-0 that had a lead truck that could really swing, would have a problem with the curves. I don't think you could get an Atlantic around it.

We went there about 3 times, back when Bill owned it. Last day that we were ever there was the day that Bill sold it to the current owner. Nothing against the current owner, you understand... we tried to get back over there a few times, but the timing just never did work out.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Pontiacguy,
Koster`s mountain railroad Challenging? A Challenge Nothing, it was "scary". Looking out and over the edge in some places you were looking down the "side" of the mountain. A twenty foot curve, through a tunnel, down a Sharp curved rock cut and across that high trestle. No T paper either.

For others that don`t know. The railroad grades are not the only things. The Gravel road just to get UP to the RR was two levels. How any concrete, building supply trucks ever made the climb I`ll never know. Wicked steep even with your own car.
chooch
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yeah, Bill wanted to build a railroad on this fairly steep and densely wooded property. Almost everyone who looked at it told him there was no way for him to build a railroad on that property. So, Bill just went out there and did it. It's awesome, too. There are limits and compromises, to be sure, but he was able to put a railroad in a place where nobody thought he could do it. Almost all of it was dug/filled by hand, too.

Some might call it 'scary', but it was definitely fun. No place like it, guaranteed!