Trucks and couplers

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Jawn

Trucks and couplers

Post by Jawn »

I'm thinking of starting my first "riding scale railroading" project, a set of trucks and couplers for a car of design yet to be determined. I'm likely to buy from Cannonball, but not sure which I want. It seems they offer the trucks in both aluminum and iron, and couplers in aluminum and bronze. Which would you prefer and why?

I suspect the iron trucks would be stronger, and they're the same price. Any reason to go with aluminum?

I suspect bronze couplers would look better once "weathered", but are there other advantages over aluminum? They're a bit more expensive.
Harold_V

Re: Trucks and couplers

Post by Harold_V »

Jawn wrote:I suspect the iron trucks would be stronger, and they're the same price. Any reason to go with aluminum?
Depends on what's being offered. If the trucks are common cast iron (gray iron), aluminum may have advantages, although you're at the mercy of the alloy used for casting. They may not have any greater strength than cast iron, which is not known for great tensile strength. However, if the iron is ductile, there's not a question, it will be superior to aluminum.
I suspect bronze couplers would look better once "weathered", but are there other advantages over aluminum? They're a bit more expensive.
Again, depends on the alloy used, but if the couplings are cast with silicon bronze (most likely they are), they would be a better choice than aluminum, which would lack the ability to resist wear. However, in either case, I suspect they both would perform adequately, and likely outlive the original buyer.

Bottom line in regards to this matter, unless you know the exact alloys in use, you may not be able to make a sound decision.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hollahan

Post by hollahan »

Amunium coupler knuckles break much more easily than bronze or cast iron/steel....
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jawn,
I would not go with Cannonball, especially Aluminum trucks or couplers including Bronze. Personally I don`t think some of there trucks look that good (modern/details).Haven`t checked prices lately but truth is, I don`t care for them and use others.

Here are three I think are the most commonly used and are quite servesable.
mountaincar.com
Tom Bee http://www.islandpondrailroad.com/tombee/
Livesteamerparts.com

I must say Mountain car might be quite slow in delivery and very difficult to contact by phone or emails at times.

chooch
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Jawn:
I've been using three pair of cast aluminum freight trucks (bought second hand) on three riding cars for better than twenty years with no issues. I have two pair of cast iron trucks which also have been trouble free. The aluminum trucks are much lighter than the iron ones and that may make a big difference to you if you are running a "light-weight" loco as motive power.

The only coupler failures I've had were with the aluminum couplers - even twisted off the shank of one at a minor derailment. I'd highly recommend the bronze versions for just a few bucks more. This winter will see the last of my aluminum couplers go into the scrap pile.

Like Harold alluded to, most likely either versions will perform satisfactorily with normal personal use...club use is a whole different story.

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Jawn,

If you're a member of the Canton group...have you asked around there? I'm sure there are enough members there that can give you a pretty good cross section of opinions. Nobody is going to tell you the "best" way or "best" product...that's something you have to decide. Ask your questions, take in the info, and make a decision based on the criteria that are important to you. But don't skimp...previous posts have cautioned about the use of alum couplers. I think that's something to pay attention to. Best choices would be cast bronze, iron or stainless (each with it's own price).

Same goes for trucks. While several posts have commented on casting material...nobody has said anything about something out of sight...bearings. You usually have several choices to select from: ball bearing, needle bearing or a plain/spherical bushing (don't think spherical bushings are available right now, but might be in the future). Each bearing choice carries with it advantages and disadvantages. Some might say they use nothing more than a piece of hardwood the axle end rides. If it works...go for it.

Many pieces of rolling stock have run on ball bearings for years. Even under riding cars. However, a typical freight car truck does not have much room for a "large" ball bearing. Unless there's a large journal area to work with, most trucks are limited to a 7/8" or 27/32" OD ball bearing. That puts the ID's down around the 3/8" or 7/16" range. My concern with these...the end of the axle has to be turned down to a small diameter. Any large shock based on car load and/or derailment MIGHT bend the axle end. Like anything else, this depends on the circumstances of the incident.

For my riding cars...I have trucks with needle bearings. That gets me an axle end around 21/32". I don't worry about these axles during derailments. I've converted several other sets of trucks to this type of bearing arrangement as well...all with great success. My old ball, plain and spherical bearing trucks...those continue to roll, but under the non-riding rolling stock. Some of those are now pushing 27 years of service.

Hope this helps. No doubt, there's more to consider than what meets the eye. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I once owned a 2" scale Jubilee (4-4-4) locomotive with four riding cars. All had cast iron couplers and trucks. Simple bronze bushings to support the axles. Four adults for each passenger car. The train set had been used commercially for 20 years and in the hobby for another 15 or so. No problems whatsoever with wear or durability.

Another consideration. The more weight you have down low on the wheels, the greater your stability will be, reducing likelihood of derailments. Cast iron trucks provide greater stability than aluminium, due to distributing the extra weight where it counts.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

ccvstmr wrote:If you're a member of the Canton group...have you asked around there? I'm sure there are enough members there that can give you a pretty good cross section of opinions.
I'm not a member, but I have been up there a few times. I figured I'd get more opinions here, but will see if any of those guys have anything to say about it next time I'm up there.
ccvstmr wrote:previous posts have cautioned about the use of alum couplers. I think that's something to pay attention to. Best choices would be cast bronze, iron or stainless (each with it's own price).
I'm leaning towards bronze couplers at this point (or iron, if the right deal presents itself).
ccvstmr wrote:Same goes for trucks. While several posts have commented on casting material...nobody has said anything about something out of sight...bearings.
I hadn't even thought about the bearings, thanks for that.
Mudhop

Post by Mudhop »

Tom Bee's cast steel couplers are the best value available for the money.
chooch

Post by chooch »

In addition to post that Tom Bee`s couplers are great value--his newer couplers are a lot smoother finish casting and have a nice Square shank. If you also want to save a dollar, he also offers dummy-non operating couplers for a real Low cost. Use one dummy, one full working on a car.

If you are a new builder, my opinion, bronze, aluminum, spring loaded , blah-blah-blah, save yourself a bunch of wondering and just get T Bee`s couplers and be done with it.
Ghooch
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Looks like Tom Bee is not taking new orders until he's caught up (and no indication on when that may be).
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jawn.
I mentioned that a while back and someone here came back with (I think to me) a smart butt reply.
So, I guess like was said you might Call him directly.
Also, do you ever look at the site--discoverlivesteam.com You can find just what you want listed there at livesteamparts.com And at less cost. -- So stated as I believe this site is to share information--
-------------------------
Yes, there has been some discussion of parts being "Copies". Like it or not, this is Competition and not the first time I have seen copies of other RR car and loco equipment, Very close if not the Same.
Just a thought--if you use / build from a blueprint or plan from a railroad or individual, is that not a copy?? (permission legal or otherwise, it`s still a copy.)

Thanks
chooch
Jawn wrote:Looks like Tom Bee is not taking new orders until he's caught up (and no indication on when that may be).