Smoke Making Machine

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

chooch

Smoke Making Machine

Post by chooch »

Making Smoke.
Has anyone made anything that can make smoke for Electric Steam locomotives / Diesel exhaust,caboose stoves, or ?? I am thinking it would run off a 12 VDC battery of some kind/size and, depending on location, perhaps needed with a small fan and "piping" to direct the smoke where desired.

In other words, something like smaller model trains have or possibly use one of those.
What think you?
Thanks.
chooch
PSeyfrit

Re: Smoke Making Machine

Post by PSeyfrit »

I believe one of the electic 7 1/2 steamers at our club used a halogen lamp in the stack and the same smoke oil as HO and O gauge uses
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thank you for reply.
I`ll give that club a shout,
chooch
PSeyfrit wrote:I believe one of the electic 7 1/2 steamers at our club used a halogen lamp in the stack and the same smoke oil as HO and O gauge uses
DFB

Post by DFB »

Here's a link to a website that's mainly geared toward model boats and such but they have a smoke machine that looks pretty cool. I'm contemplating using one in an Alco 628. http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main ... smoker.htm
I have no affiliation with them, just thought id share.
chooch

Post by chooch »

DFB,
Now why didn`t I think to look for something like. Duh!
Does look pretty nice, maybe a little Too much smoke but hey, could be worth a try.
Thank you.
chooch

DFB wrote:Here's a link to a website that's mainly geared toward model boats and such but they have a smoke machine that looks pretty cool. I'm contemplating using one in an Alco 628. http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main ... smoker.htm
I have no affiliation with them, just thought id share.
DFB

Post by DFB »

Chooch,
No problem. It looks like the smoke flow is adjustable and could maybe be integrated into the throttle (more throttle, more smoke)!
Dale
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Let me share what I plan to use on my 7 1/2 gauge, ride-inside, electric outline, steam locomotive.
(See: "Baby Grande on the Bountyland", also here in "Riding Scale Railroading".

On the web, I found a number of hows to for making a Cold Smoke Generator for smoking foods. Here's a link to just one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wOLjh3R_FY These units burn (smolder is more like it) wood chips and use no battery power except to run the necessary air pump.

For this, I bought an air mattress inflation pump made to connect to the cigarette lighter socket of a car (12V-DC). My engine runs on 24V but I plan to add a 24V-DC to 12V-DC converter to run the pump, lights and other stuff. Both the pump and converter are available from Amazon.

One other thing. The pump is just he right size and shape to look like my locomotive's steam generator!
Just add a fake exhaust tube.
(Note: This steam generator thing works in my case as this engine is quite large. Smaller models would likely need to have it hidden somewhere.)

Bob Springs
Slipped Eccentric

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

Has anyone looked into using the guts from a vaporizer type cigarette? From what I can tell they only run off of 5 volts and from what I've seen can put out a truly impressive amount of "smoke". The liquid they use is glycerin based so I would assume regular smoke fluid would work. Or just use the liquid with no added nicotine and have whatever smelling smoke you like...
chooch

Post by chooch »

Yes, I use an E-Cig (battery electric cigarette) and was thinking about that the other day. Small bottle of juice I use is $13.50-maybe four ounces?
But, I Will look into that for sure. Some units "sure do" put out the smoke (vapor) and it Bugs me.
Problem--I think I am addicted to the E-Cig more for the smoke effect. My wife calls it my "Pacifier".
I`ll have to ask what the amount of juice is that I use a day, millie meters or something.

Guy in store I buy from makes Big clouds of smoke just to bug me as he knows my train hobby.:-)

Thanks also for Your idea.
chooch
Slipped Eccentric wrote:Has anyone looked into using the guts from a vaporizer type cigarette? From what I can tell they only run off of 5 volts and from what I've seen can put out a truly impressive amount of "smoke". The liquid they use is glycerin based so I would assume regular smoke fluid would work. Or just use the liquid with no added nicotine and have whatever smelling smoke you like...
madelblue

Post by madelblue »

On a social media site that I frequent, one gentleman went a step further to get a realistic smoke effect. He took the smoke unit and incorporated it into the throttle AND sound system. Instead of the smoke just blowing out with the fan as shown in a link in a previous post, he took the piping that went to the stack and put a "T" fitting in the line. Then hooked up the open side of the "T" to the sound port in a bookshelf type speaker that he used for the sound system. As the woofer in the speaker pulled and pushed air through the port, it would pull and push the "smoke" in and out of the pipe providing a puffing that was much more realistic - especially at slow speeds and at idle. As the throttle was increased, the puffing got closer together and the smoke amount also increased.

More realistic and ingenious.
chooch

Post by chooch »

madelblue,

Hey, Cool!! Sounds like a real Winner smoke system. Train show this weekend, will have to see what I can find.
Thank you.
chooch
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

one of the biggest problems i have with all the current smoke systems on the market is the smoke is the wrong color... unless you want to model a loco with a engine with bad injectors etc. :) this i have thought about using the smoke machine only during the start up where its not uncommon to see lots of white smoke from a diesel engine that has been rode hard. anyone know if someone has found a mix that will create a dark smoke effect yet?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.