Remotoring a Koster's Miniature Railroad Supplies Locomotive

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Remotoring a Koster's Miniature Railroad Supplies Locomotive

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

I just receive a Koster's Miniature Railroad Supplies, Inc. Locomotive. The trucks need a complete rebuild. I need to replace the WWII surplus motors and am looking for recommendations for new permanent magnet motors and a new control system.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
chooch

Re: Remotoring a Koster's Miniature Railroad Supplies Locomo

Post by chooch »

Tim,
It might make a difference on what size / model locomotive you have--trucks, no doubt four wheel.
Other than what has, and would be mentioned here about "scooter" parts or "other" motors and controllers I could give you his email off site if you would like. Might help for other repair info.
You might have Bill`s E address in the FLS state book.
chooch
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The locomotive is a GP18. I will be putting 4 new motors and gear boxes on the axle as Bill designed them.

The motors that Bill used, are now 70 years old. They run at a higher RPM than the new permanent magnet motors that are available now. So the gearing will be different. So a new gearbox will have to be made.

I will be calculating for 8 MPH top speed. A 5" wheel will be turning 538 RPM at that speed.

MDM Locomotive Works is now using a 4" diameter 1/2 HP motor. That is 375 watts.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hello Tim,

Two other possible sources come to mind. These are as follows:
Dave Gehrke...West Bend Trains/Locomotives (in Wisconsin...usually advertises in Disc Live Steam)
Tom Artzberger...Pike Lake & Eastern Shops (?)...now located in Colorado.

Both suppliers might be using transaxle mounted gearboxes with motors. Didn't know if having another possible source would help you. Good luck...let us know how the "re-motoring" works out. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
chooch

Post by chooch »

Tim,
I have a small catalog diagram that was actually for Friction drive gas motor. But I have made it to work for electric drive. Shows a shaft UP above the floor of the loco. Then down to another shaft crosswise Under the bolster to the side frames
From that shaft Outward are a chain to each drive axle. Yes, it is All chain and sprocket drive.
Yes, from up above and down to the truck it Will swivel.
I have both an Original (70`s) drive system and one made similar myself.

Also, have made my own motor mount brackets similar and, with same size Plum Cove motors and gears for Koster`s diesel trucks.
One motor each axle. I think the main difference would be the Wheel sizes. I only have Four inch, not Five.
If I can help--feel free to ask.
chooch
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

ccvstmr wrote:Hello Tim,

Two other possible sources come to mind. These are as follows:
Dave Gehrke...West Bend Trains/Locomotives (in Wisconsin...usually advertises in Disc Live Steam)
Tom Artzberger...Pike Lake & Eastern Shops (?)...now located in Colorado.

Both suppliers might be using transaxle mounted gearboxes with motors. Didn't know if having another possible source would help you. Good luck...let us know how the "re-motoring" works out. Carl B.
Thanks Carl

This is what I am looking for.

Tom Artzberger
HARTFORD SHOPS
Attachments
Electric power axle assembly RTR with 4 1/4” or 5&quot; wheels Specified 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 gauge. <br />24 volt high efficiency DC motor Spur gears running in aluminum gear case, grease lubricated.<br /> Wheels, axles and bearings 550 RPM at 24 Volts.
Electric power axle assembly RTR with 4 1/4” or 5" wheels Specified 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 gauge.
24 volt high efficiency DC motor Spur gears running in aluminum gear case, grease lubricated.
Wheels, axles and bearings 550 RPM at 24 Volts.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

its not exactly what you are looking for, being these are chain driven vs gear.
but these are the trucks i have fabbed yup for a pair of "budget build" locos i am building with a friend,
each truck has two 500 watt PM motors running a 4.05 to 1 ratio.

this setup may not fit the frames if they are 1.5 scale. but i wanted to scale as another option
20141229_154706.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I found that the Pike River Northern also make drive assemblies. As well as cast steel Blomberg Trucks.

Tim
Attachments
Truck-pike-river-northern-1-small.jpg
Gearbox-1-pike-river-northern-small.jpg
Gearbox-2-pike-river-northern-small.jpg
chooch

Post by chooch »

Well I don`t see Plum Cove mentioned for motor/gear drive systems so here`s a link below.
A gear box--no but--with about 200 locos sold they say and, and the Many I have seen and some of my own locos without "covered" gear boxes running with no problems, on "Florida Sandy Soil" are they Really needed.
Better than none, no doubt. But all the "hype" about a gear "Box" is just that in My opinion. A natural selling point of course and, no offense to those that supply them.
Just an alternate point of view and way to build your own similar drive system more simply.
Thank you.
chooch
-------------------
http://www.plumcovestudios.com/axles_01.html

A 6 to 1 gear ratio