where is the gap

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rojam18801

where is the gap

Post by rojam18801 »

new guy here, building pullman 1903 heavyweights, three of then in 1 inch scale. I'm retired on ss and can't afford to buy the metal passenger trucks and tools I have are to small to build then. Only choice i have is to build them from hardwood. I have built 4 pair this far. they look good and are sprung. the question i have is where is the clearence for 4 3/4 inch track. at the track or at the wheels. don't want the flanges to chew on the railhead and how much clearance do i give them. thank you. ron
gnsteam

Re: where is the gap

Post by gnsteam »

rojam18801 wrote:new guy here, building pullman 1903 heavyweights, three of then in 1 inch scale. I'm retired on ss and can't afford to buy the metal passenger trucks and tools I have are to small to build then. Only choice i have is to build them from hardwood. I have built 4 pair this far. they look good and are sprung. the question i have is where is the clearence for 4 3/4 inch track. at the track or at the wheels. don't want the flanges to chew on the railhead and how much clearance do i give them. thank you. ron
It appears to be at the wheel spacing. Here is a link to the IBLS wheel and track standards.

http://www.ridgelivesteamers.org/misc/i ... ndards.pdf
Fred
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Welcome to the site! If you wouldn't mid post some pictures of your cars and trucks! I, and I'm sure others, would love to see them!

As well if you wouldnt mind ad your location to your profile. Not looking for you home address, but state, county, or City would be great. Whatever you are comfortable with. I think it's nice to know the area that a person is from with whom you are talking. To do this click on control panel I the upper right corner, then click on profile in the left hand box. After filling in the information in the appropriate spot make sure you click on submit at the bottom to save the changes. After doing this your location will appear in the left hand side of the page under your name at every post.
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

thank you gnsteam, that is what I needed. maybe no more dumb questions.
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

redneckalbertan, i will post pictures on the build site soon
chooch

Post by chooch »

RON--New Guy,
Not sure just where Dunnellen is but on the West coast (Fla) there are three club tracks, one in Dundee, one up towards Ocala, one in Sebring and down south near Naples/Ft. Myers. Plus a couple more on East coast.

Check out floridalivesteamers.com and you should find more info. Lots of track meets coming up pretty soon--Feb. and March. Might bump in to you at one of them.
Good Luck.
chooch
rojam18801 wrote:new guy here, building pullman 1903 heavyweights, three of then in 1 inch scale. I'm retired on ss and can't afford to buy the metal passenger trucks and tools I have are to small to build then. Only choice i have is to build them from hardwood. I have built 4 pair this far. they look good and are sprung. the question i have is where is the clearence for 4 3/4 inch track. at the track or at the wheels. don't want the flanges to chew on the railhead and how much clearance do i give them. thank you. ron
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

dunnellon is just south west of ocale fl. i should have said ocala as i hardly ever go into the town of dunnellon always into ocala.
chooch

Post by chooch »

rojam18801 wrote:dunnellon is just south west of ocale fl. i should have said ocala as i hardly ever go into the town of dunnellon always into ocala.
Well, then you are close to Big Boots & Western--I think in Candler and--Pasco & Gulf just down a way in Pasco County. right off I- 75 in a County park. Sorry, I don`t know just what city-town or Park name offhand. Both Big tracks.
Boots, you have to look Very close for his driveway entrance even though there is a small sign there.
chooch
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Ron,

Larry Smith of the Manatee Central in Parrish FL, just south of Tampa, has a 4.75" track as well as a 7.5" track.

Bobby
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thanks Bobby. I forgot about that. Don`t see too many using it though.
It`s my favorite railroad. Not as HUGE (miles/feet) as some others but quite scenic and fun running.
chooch
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

BobbyT wrote:Ron,

Larry Smith of the Manatee Central in Parrish FL, just south of Tampa, has a 4.75" track as well as a 7.5" track.

Bobby
Any pictures?
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney