GE 44ton locomotive project update

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: GE 44ton locomotive project update

Post by steamin10 »

I, for one, have not learned to operate CAD. So my hats off to you there. As for the images posted, they look pretty fair to me, as 44 tonners were a bit chunky up close. We had 2 of them for a while in a steel slab yard. They came from a dam project somwhere, passed through a private company, and came to us fairly well worn, and presented a maintenance headache, so they were sold in favor of a Trackmaster, that was no fun. The pair came on flatcars, and left on flatcars.

From my experience with a Carlson Lil' Gasser, the hoods and roof will have to be securely fastened as the roof on the one I ran rattled at a very annoying pitch while running. May not be a problem if electric.

Making a pattern is easy for this, as bits of wood and some water bent louan is easy to form. If using clear block, the underside is fairly easy with a router table and core bit set to take out the hollow underside. 1/4 inch thickness will give a good cast, and a sturdy piece.

Much luck, make it happen :mrgreen:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

I have two Wood body locos-a 44 tonner and an NW switcher built by others. With a good fit, some wood/body filler, sanding etc. and a good gloss coat of paint you will have to look close to see any body cracks. If you do see any, they are Hairline--not much difference than some metal joints.
I for one, being a Rude, Crude builder would use a Good piece of 3/4 plywood, radius the edges for the roof.
Make it "Lift off" for easy access to control boards etc. I might even make each hood lift off also foe same easy access to whatever. That is what I do for most of my loco/car builds. Easy lift off access in sections.

Shape the wood, no patterns, no castings, no extra costs and good looks.
chooch
chooch
WJH

Post by WJH »

Yes, there is easier ways to do certain things, less costly for sure as well. I grew up in the wood shop, and wood just doesn't do much more me. One thing that I am always thirsty for is to learn new ways to do things. Metal casting, and welding are two giant voids in my repertoire that I really would like to command and conquer. What better way than to incorporate it into this? I'll need to add a tig welder...
More details, more tweaking... I'll never be happy until I can take a look at this thing, then take a look at a picture of the real thing, and not be able to tell that anything is off. I'm going to need to go visit another GE44 locomotive to take measurements. Thats what I like about CAD, you can keep tweaking things until they look right.
416UpdateA.JPG
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

WJH,
The September 1978 issue of Model Railroader had plans for the 44-tonner. Also, Extra 2200 South (I think that is what is it called) had several issues dedicated to them. If you PM me, I will send you what I have. My favorite shortline (the Arcade and Attica Railroad) owns several and I hope to build one in 1/8 scale someday.
Ben
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
WJH

Post by WJH »

Pm sent!
chooch

Post by chooch »

Hey Ben and WJH,
I`ll be darned!
I was just looking at a "copy" of that very 44 ton magazine drawing. think on page 78 od the mag. Pretty nice article with lots of measurements. But, I found if you measure the drawing against the measures stated there does seem to be a Little difference. Maybe from the copy?
chooch
chooch

Post by chooch »

WJH,
Just mentioned an alternative "maybe," good looking way of doing a build being I`m a rude, crude and Cheap builder. :-)
More familiar with sheet metal actually and stick welding. Would like to have a wire feed machine but I`m about at the stage that it`s getting time to start selling stuff.

But, one suggestion, you might be sure to figure in your scale and the size batteries you will use. My 44 built by another to (said) 1-1/2 scale will Barely fit Honda auto batteries under the hoods with a little mods to the wood frames.
Cad drawings--HA!! I`m a techno-dino(saur). Still use a round dial phone sometime.

Good luck with your learning endeavors. Will be following your build updates.

chooch
chooch

Post by chooch »

WJH,
Just had an idea.
Of all the photos I have seen of 44 tonner locos none seem to have the Headlight :Visors". One of the three HO 44 ton models I have, B and M, Does have the Visors. In fact, I do have the B and M full size Visors in my RR collection.
If you might be interested in adding that detail to your locomotive send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
chooch
WJH

Post by WJH »

Apparently, over the years, they had different phases where they changed things slightly. The 3 view drawings I find, most are probably from the wrong phase, so I have to keep looking back and photos of the exact locomotive I want to model after, and the one I am modeling has no visors, and even lacks the protrusion that many have around the headlight. I do know that it was made in 1951, but it is very difficult finding information on the different phases. I even bought a book on GE switching locomotives and that book fails to make any mention of it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

WJH,
What you say about different loco phases and, some railroads often wanted some different things themselves is true. But, if you change your mind the offer is still open to work with you on visors.
BTW. I don`t remember the short line tourist type RR in Mt. Dora, Fl. and if it still has the Side rod driven 45? ton switcher. That might be something to look into also.
Keep your drawings coming, you have an interesting project.
chooch
WJH

Post by WJH »

Thanks to Benjamin, I was able to pinpoint the phase and date of construction of my locomotive, it is a phase IV B, built December of 1950!
Now the interesting thing is this, I believe my locomotive still exists, and still runs, The Loweville and Beaver Railroad was using it up until around 2007? Since then, the railroad shut down, and was taken over by the GVT, along with the locomotives... I believe there are some locomotives local to me in Central Florida, perhaps I will take a look at them tomorrow
kvom

Post by kvom »

While attending Cabin Fever in York, PA l visited the York Industrial Museum, where there is a GE44 on display. This one was last used the the Harley Davidson factory. The display allows one to enter the cab as well as close access to the rest, so it would be quite easy to get measurements if you were to visit, or get a local to do so. I took only one snapshot of it on my visit, and will post it later, although i doubt it will help much.

An interesting point was that the 44 ton size was the maximum allowed for operation by a 1-man crew according to union contracts at the time they were built.