Name of our "Scale"

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Name of our "Scale"

Post by Harlock »

As a generic term inclusive of motive power other than steam, "Riding Scale Railroading" works, for gauges where you mostly ride on instead of in, as in 2.5" - most 7.5".

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada

Post by 6491 »

It's funny, over here mostly it is referred to the gauge. People will say that they are running 7.25" or 5" gauge. I have to say that I have never heard people reference their scale. Most modellers build to scale, just not used as a name.
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

6491 wrote:It's funny, over here mostly it is referred to the gauge. People will say that they are running 7.25" or 5" gauge. I have to say that I have never heard people reference their scale. Most modellers build to scale, just not used as a name.
Interesting comment, John, but I don't have a clue where "over here" is.

Any chance you'd be willing to put your location in your profile? Really helps readers when location is a factor. No need to provide specifics. If you're in the US, so little as a general location is helpful (like the state in which you reside).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Post by 6491 »

Sorry Harold it was there, but I must have removed it when I was in one of my anti every-one moods.
The Coral Sea is to my east...
Have a good one....John.
Fender

Post by Fender »

"Bribie Island" definitely sent me scurrying to google maps. East coast of Australia?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN

Post by 6491 »

Yep, a piece of Paradise and the Model Engineers and Live Steam Ass. track is just a 15 minute walk along the white sand waterfront. Or a 4 minute drive if I "have" to take the loco down.

https://www.facebook.com/trainsonbribie

https://www.facebook.com/bribieisland?fref=nf

Sorry about that, now we can get back onto the topic.
Have a good one....John.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Actually, "Park Gauge" is what 12" -24" gauge trains often are called. With 18" to 36" gauge being classed Narrow Guage If the railroad is in service as a public carrier. So maybe there is some overlap in gauge and scale at the upper end of the park Guage market.... Certainly wouldn't be railroading if there weren't every possible combination of gauges and rolling stock all competing for attention.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

6491 wrote:It's funny, over here mostly it is referred to the gauge. People will say that they are running 7.25" or 5" gauge. I have to say that I have never heard people reference their scale. Most modellers build to scale, just not used as a name.
depends on the audience. considering most non-railroaders do not know what standard gauge (US 56.5", not Lionel 2.125") is, i usually say my locomotive is 1/8th scale. and although it would make little sense if referring to a freelance model, it usually gets the general idea across. also helps to have a picture handy of someone sitting on the tender seat.

cheers...gary
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Ride On Scale 7 1/2" Gauge.
Not Live Steam Scale as there are probably more diesel type engines than steamers in the guage.
BGBill
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

"also helps to have a picture handy of someone sitting on the tender seat"
That's the truth. I carry a couple pix on my cell phone to show people when the subject comes up (which amazingly I like to talk about!). I then show them one with me sitting on it and the comments usually run something like "Wow. That is big!" I always enjoy that.