Brake wheel: which way up?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Brake wheel: which way up?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

On the brake wheel in the photo, which way do the spokes spiral when looking down from above? The way in the photo, spiraling counterclockwise, or flipped, so they spiral clockwise? Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
chooch

Re: Brake wheel: which way up?

Post by chooch »

Sorry I don`t know Greg but that`s a good question.

I would like to know what scale the wheel is and, where did you, or anyone get them. Especially just the "Wheels", not any other parts.
Thank you,
chooch
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

It's 1 1/2 scale. I've had it for many years but may have gotten it from Branchline Products.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I have two brake wheel castings just like it which are known to be supplied by Jeff Smith of Branchline Products. He offers some very high quality castings well worth the money invested. Almost a shame to paint the castings.

The view shown is the correct side up. In full size practice the square hole in the middle of the casting was tapered to fit the taper square shank of the brake staff. That way it could never slip during the torque of applying the hand brakes.

That design offered plenty of places to slip the brake club for additional braking force when using the hand brake. With the square taper shank, even the best trainman could not tear a brake wheel loose from the staff.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Check to see if the square is smaller on your palm side. That would be the top. If both the same, than pick which way u like the spirals to go. ours go clockwise. I believe this is the top of ours

Tom C.
Attachments
11-Brake wheel 06-06-11.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Greg,

I have a full size brake wheel exactly like this. Holding in my hands now and yes, the top is what's showing in your hand. There is a tapered square hole in the center and the small part of the taper is the top.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, everyone. I thought this was right as it looks like the most effective way for a brake club to fit. As Robert says, the castings are too nice to paint. The square hole is tapered in the casting but I filed it out as that was easier than making a tapered square shaft. Then I forgot which way the taper went. Thanks again.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thanks all for replies about the brake wheel and of Branchline castings. I`m sure they are a very nice products.
I went there but being frugal (plain cheap) I hesitate to pay the price for One wheel and other parts I don`t need, want. I may have to rethink about that though. :-)
chooch
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

The Branchline Products parts are great. The brake wheel wheel comes supplied with a ratchet and paul, and a drawing of how to machine the brake staff, but other mounting parts must be purchased separately or fabricated. I used the wheel, ratchet and paul on one of my wood narrow gauge flat cars. I fabricated the mounting straps based on Carter Brothers practice for my build.

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

The relationship between the pawl and ratchet look like the ratchet should be flipped over. Am I looking at this correctly?
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

You are right. I corrected that before I installed it.

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
chooch

Post by chooch »

Just for interest, here is a One inch site for parts and other supplies.
Older style Brake wheel is a little different in design than some shown here.

Thanks (pm) johnder for info.
chooch

http://oneinchrr.com/