Oil cooler for RR Supply diesel

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

makinsmoke

Oil cooler for RR Supply diesel

Post by makinsmoke »

The forty-odd year old oil cooler in a RR Supply diesel succumbed
to the ravages of time, vibration and use.

Any idea where to find a replacement? They had to be
an off the shelf tranny cooler of similar, correct?

Thanks!
cbrew

Re: Oil cooler for RR Supply diesel

Post by cbrew »

i would think an oil cooler designed for a diesel pickup would do the job, they normally have a .5inch connections,
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Through the assistance of Nick Edwards, Roland Gosslyn, and Mike McClure I tracked down the source of the oil cooler for the late 70's - early 80's Railroad Supply gas hydraulic SD-35.

It was made by Derale and installed on various motorcycles.
I was able to find a couple of used ones on Ebay, one in much better shape than the other.
oil cooler.jpeg
Original on the bottom. One of the lower brackets was loose and wore through the copper tubing.

The replacement was removed from a Suzuki bike being parted out, and other than the nifty chrome cover and
different mounting brackets I took off, will work just great.

Thanks guys!

Brian
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I think I'd be nervous installing something on a railroad item made by " Derale!"
:lol:
chooch

Post by chooch »

I have often wondered if an Auto heater coil or the (I think) transmission cooler? the small radiator like fixture in front of the regular auto one could be used as a hydraulic oil cooler? If so, I might be lucky with the heater coils I have.
Thanks.
chooch
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

chooch wrote:I have often wondered if an Auto heater coil or the (I think) transmission cooler? the small radiator like fixture in front of the regular auto one could be used as a hydraulic oil cooler? If so, I might be lucky with the heater coils I have.
Thanks.
chooch
I dont know if i would trust a heater core, they are not designed for that pressure. but the trans cooler is just that, a hydraulic cooler.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thank you for your reply and knowledge.
chooch
cbrew wrote:
chooch wrote:I have often wondered if an Auto heater coil or the (I think) transmission cooler? the small radiator like fixture in front of the regular auto one could be used as a hydraulic oil cooler? If so, I might be lucky with the heater coils I have.
Thanks.
chooch
I dont know if i would trust a heater core, they are not designed for that pressure. but the trans cooler is just that, a hydraulic cooler.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Hydraulic coolers directly in line are usually on the suction side, and are not subject to line pressures, so the oil is cooler before it reaches the pump. Air leaks will cause huge foaming problems. Downstream coolers are usually of the sealed water intercooler type, and can be built for great pressures (and expense) if needed.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

steamin10 wrote:Hydraulic coolers directly in line are usually on the suction side, and are not subject to line pressures, so the oil is cooler before it reaches the pump. Air leaks will cause huge foaming problems. Downstream coolers are usually of the sealed water intercooler type, and can be built for great pressures (and expense) if needed.

On autos & equipment, and most everything I have been around, as well as systems I have designed, heat exchangers, whether they be air to fluid, or fluid to fluid, are located on the return side. I have never seen a cooler on the suction side.

Think about it....the oil is going to be at it's highest temperature before it returns to tank.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
steamin10 wrote:Hydraulic coolers directly in line are usually on the suction side, and are not subject to line pressures, so the oil is cooler before it reaches the pump. Air leaks will cause huge foaming problems. Downstream coolers are usually of the sealed water intercooler type, and can be built for great pressures (and expense) if needed.

On autos & equipment, and most everything I have been around, as well as systems I have designed, heat exchangers, whether they be air to fluid, or fluid to fluid, are located on the return side. I have never seen a cooler on the suction side.

Think about it....the oil is going to be at it's highest temperature before it returns to tank.

Bill
same experience as Bill
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I could be mistaken, but in industrial hydraulics, coolers and filters are never subjected to high pressures, 1.5, and 3k psi. it would blow the media apart, and leaks at those pressures are dangerous to say the least.

I have never rebuilt an auto transmission, but the coolers are definitely low pressure with the hoses and screw clamps being enough. I may have thought about this setup wrong, and defer to those that may know more in this area.

It is important that things be set straight here, I encourage open discussion, even if only to be held as a bad example, as the idea that everything is known in all situations, is the most dangerous of all. (Murphies Law).
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

steamin10 wrote:I could be mistaken, but in industrial hydraulics, coolers and filters are never subjected to high pressures, 1.5, and 3k psi. it would blow the media apart, and leaks at those pressures are dangerous to say the least.

I have never rebuilt an auto transmission, but the coolers are definitely low pressure with the hoses and screw clamps being enough. I may have thought about this setup wrong, and defer to those that may know more in this area.

It is important that things be set straight here, I encourage open discussion, even if only to be held as a bad example, as the idea that everything is known in all situations, is the most dangerous of all. (Murphies Law).
i can speak for all, but in our locomotive systems that i have seen, all the storage tanks are vented, so there is very little pressure in the system after the motors, the real only pressure will be created from flow restrictions of the cooler. (same with automatic transmission systems that i have worked on)
and this is why i suggested a auto cooler designed for diesel trucks, they have the large lines

but i would put filters in the suction lines right off the storage tank