Plum Cove Boxcab Controller

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Bob D.

Re: Plum Cove Boxcab Controller

Post by Bob D. »

I decided the most practical route was to buy a new controller and try something different. Just ordered a SyRen 50. I plan to make my own handheld throttle. The ridetrains setup looks quite good and may upgrade to his controller and sound system at a later date and add that to my SyRen 50.
If I can find someone to make repairs to the Pacesetter I may do that too. Just doubt it would be less than the cost of the SyRen.

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
GooseOrBust

Post by GooseOrBust »

I'm very interested in your project. I've waited too long for my controller and an considering another vendor. The SyRen system looks like it has a lot to offer. Please keep us posted.
chooch

Post by chooch »

I have to ask Guys, to get this subject a little clearer being I have a couple locos with Pacesetter boards.
Have you gone direct to the company and asked about the problem or, repair, replacement. service costs etc.

Waiting to long for controller? OK , just Who is the slowpoke.
Thanks.
chooch
GooseOrBust

Post by GooseOrBust »

What kind of locos and where did you get the boards?
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Goose,
I have an older Plum Cove Boxcab that didn't run when I got it. Just trying to get something functional without much fuss. It has Plum's setup of a Pacesetter controller. The OEM supplier doesn't offer repair. Plum's solution is to buy a replacement. Doesn't seem to be much on the web about the Pacesetter.
I decided to start fresh with a SynRen 50 controller. Lots of info out there on it. Used by a lot of robotic guys. I purchased it thru http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/syren50
Easy online ordering, shipped out within hours and due to arrive today from Ohio.
Seems like a real easy solution to controlling a loco in most any way you want.

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0

Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Have got to praise the service of Dimension Engineering. Less than 48 hrs of ordering on line I have a new controller in my hands! Should have time to try it out tomorrow.

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0

cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bob D. wrote:Have got to praise the service of Dimension Engineering. Less than 48 hrs of ordering on line I have a new controller in my hands! Should have time to try it out tomorrow.

Bob D.
great products, that is all i run in my electrics
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Giving a plug for Ridetrains.net. Roy Stevens, a one man shop/, uses and sells the Syren controllers for the same price as the Company for his loco builds. How the service is I can`t say but, might be a help for the 'little" guy to try him out. I have had a few good dealing with him.

Have one of his "side rod " chassis and made a Dockside body for it. My train lady friend and I built her six wheel switcher using a Syren controller. Runs nice.
I will power my Mini Dash-9 under construction and convert a speeder from a Plum Cove board to a Syren.
P C is ok, will be used on a larger loco. All we use is a 5K pot for operation.
chooch
chooch

Post by chooch »

BD and Goose or Bust,
Sorry to hear of your problems. Not like it used to be many years ago. Thank you also for Your information.
The pre Plum Cove supplier (diverse electronics--owner died) would repair the Pacer boards at a reasonable price.

Too bad Plum C can not take care of the business as it used to be when Paul Pool (the father-retired) was there and the son now has a pretty full time job as private Executive pilot.

Goose, you asked. I have four locos, one speeder with older Diverse and PC controllers, and one loco with a newer Plum C board a couple yrs old. I have had pretty good luck with the Pacesetter boards, I only burned one out Myself as I remember.
However, as I mentioned I will be going with the Syren next when/if for now.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Chooch
The Train Guy

Post by The Train Guy »

Good luck tying to get any help from Plum cove unless he thinks you are going to spend 2K with him then he will answer you back in 10 min. Did someone say he was a pilot? It took me to months to get a responce and it came from his wife and stated he was real bussy "the head of the union trying to save something like 2000 jobs."

On the other hand I have nothing but praise for ride trains. Roy is a joy to work with fast responce to your questions and a good product to boot. I hade a couple of questions for him picked up the phone and called him at home and he took the time to answer me not giving me a bunch of excusses like Sam Pool's wife did.

I biult my first loco ( a super goose )this past winter and it has Roy's ( Ride Trains ) system in it and it is a syren system. Been running 3 weeks now ran it 25+ miles and not a single problem.

-Noel
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Hooked up the SyRen 50 today. The only difficulty I had was with the analog for/rev with a switched input to S2. The directions say to apply 5v to S2 for one direction and open for reverse. That didn't work, direction stayed the same regardless of the switch position. If I switch 0v on/off to S2 it works as advertised. Using a 5k pot as a single direction speed control. Out of the box there is no descernable ramping between forward and reverse. I believe this can be changed but requires hooking the controller to a PC to make the adjustments. Don't know how to do that.
Using the pot as center off, CW for, CCW rev lets you ramp the direction change but I prefer the switch.
Controller is silent which is nice. It's also very small compared to the original Pacer control and Plum Cove addeds.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0

cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bob, for reliable service it would be wise to to add a 100k resistor between S1 and 0v. this way if something ever happen to the cable the loco will just come to a stop. with out it, the S1 pin will float and i have had it float to full throttle, and i also use a single pole double throw switch for direction, with the outer pins of the switch connected to 5v and 0v and the common pin connected to S2. it will also float giving you the results you are seeing with the direction.

attached is a simple schematic i used with the DE controllers
it is missing the resistor from S1 to 0V (i install this at the Syren)

But i now only use Ride trains digital system.
boxcabcontrol.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.