Any CliShay build updates?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SCBryan

Any CliShay build updates?

Post by SCBryan »

There have not been any build updates lately on the CliShay projects. I would be interested in hearing how the projects are progressing or not. Several have posted over the past couple years that they are building or starting on a project to build one. Are they progressing, stalled, or lost interest. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
ken572

Re: Any CliShay build updates?

Post by ken572 »

SCBryan wrote:There have not been any build updates lately on the CliShay projects. I would be interested in hearing how the projects are progressing or not. Several have posted over the past couple years that they are building or starting on a project to build one. Are they progressing, stalled, or lost interest. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
SCBryan :D

How about these.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/sea ... mit=Search

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

My point, exactly. Evan was working on his boiler back in March and several other guys last year mentioned they were working on some others. I am thinking of possibly building one and enjoy the updates and issues that come up and how they are handled. Maybe one of these days after I finish up some other projects, I will jump off the fence and finally get serious.
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

I'm still here, I just haven't been updating my build log that much. This weekend I finished welding the boiler and installed a few flues to get a feel for how my expander works on something other than my test vessel.
Attachments
11209602_882909291766648_4882132101328286656_n.jpg
That's not undercut, that's just from the grinding disk when I cleaned up the root.
That's not undercut, that's just from the grinding disk when I cleaned up the root.
11150663_882909248433319_4623500517556693759_n.jpg
The firebox before I started installing the flues.
The firebox before I started installing the flues.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Looking good! My mess is languishing on the floor collecting rust and looking ugly.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Looks pretty good Evan!
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

Thanks guys! After I get the tubes put in, I have to make lagging. For that I'm going to use maple, and I'll rub some linseed oil on it to help preserve it. I also have to get all the fittings for it as well, a little time spent looking on the internet will take care of that. By the way, for those that have made angle valves before. Is it better to buy them, or make them myself from castings like the ones PMR sells?
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Has anyone done the screw reverse modification to the Clishay as shown in the book?

Bill
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

I've thought about it, but have figured that a larger diameter rod or square rod on the original reverser would solve the original designs problem.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T