Small EMD narrow gauge locomotive design

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ironhorseriley

Small EMD narrow gauge locomotive design

Post by ironhorseriley »

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a source for drawings or plans for any of the following narrow gauge EMD BB trucked locomotives: GA8, GL8, GA18, JL8, JL18. These were primarily export units. GE narrow gauge locomotives are well represented in this hobby, but I have not seen any EMD narrow gauge designs represented yet. The Canadian units used in Newfoundland were larger designs and I am interested in the smallest units that still had trucks. I am intrigued by the use of freight car trucks instead of more conventional style locomotive trucks. I am not a "freelancer" but prefer to model a true prototype if possible.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 51776d.jpg

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/EMD_GA8

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=95587

http://strollingviolinist.com/rails/Fer ... dem_08.jpg

http://strollingviolinist.com/rails/Fer ... dem_19.jpg

I never said they were pretty!

Thank you,

Jim
Last edited by ironhorseriley on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.

Re: Small EMD narrow gauge locomotive design

Post by 6491 »

You could really have some fun with the rivet counters with the bogies..(trucks to you guys)
Last edited by 6491 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Now THAT is an interesting design! Would probably be the cheapest two-truck locomotive to build and still be faithful to the prototype, considering that so many freight cars use that very truck frame, you could buy yourself a pair of already machined freight trucks, take them apart, and then make your new axles and add your powertrain.

Interesting that these were shaft driven by two traction motors hung underneath. that part would also be pretty easy to reproduce if you wanted to, or you could use just about any available drive combination.

It says the gage was 1000 mm, which comes out to be 39.37" (approx. 39 3/8"). for 7 1/2" gauge track, the scale would come out somewhere very near 2 1/4" scale.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with. It will also be interesting to hear the 'know it all' folks tell you that you have the wrong trucks under your locomotive!
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Yes these were a very interesting diesel electric design. I believe the first time I ever came across the design was out of paperback "Diesel Spotter's Guide" series that Kalmbach published years ago. The one that listed the GA8 had a quote from an EMD salesman that stated something to the affect "It has less wiring than a '57 Chevy." I doubt that, but they were designed to be as simple as possible to cater to the export market and be adaptable to many gauges. This fit the bill for many lines with limited resources and shop crews only experienced in maintaining steam locomotives. The ones that caught my eye were built for the many 3' gauges in Mexico. Several were regauged to standard gauge before retirement.

I agree the design would be a conversion magnet! I may still build a 4 wheel GE loco in 2-1/2" scale, but the desire for a small "trucked" diesel is hard to resist. It would still be a large loco in that scale but more manageable than one copying the large GE's & ALCO's of the White Pass or the CN G8's or NF210's.

I also agree about the truck design in general (granted, it would be a challenge to come up with modern roller bearing side frames in 2-1/2" scale). Many of the true prototype narrow gauge power truck side frame designs would need to be built from scratch and expensive. Expensive is not a good word for me.
Last edited by ironhorseriley on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Actually, I think that you could use the 1 1/2" scale truck side frames as-is in your conversion... Since the locomotives were re-gaugeable by just moving the wheels in and out, and you also state that several of them were re-gauged to standard gauge near the end of their lives, then they most likely just used a standard gauge truck side frame for their base locomotive. Since they were re-gauged, I would build it in 1 1/2" scale and just make them the standard gauge version.

The documentation that you linked to stated that the side frames were 5' 6" wheelbase, which comes out to 8.25" in 1 1/2" scale, and that is pretty close to what is commonly available. If you decide to make it to 2 1/4" gauge, the wheelbase will be around 12", not exactly something you can just go and get.

Again, it would be a pretty cheap and easy 2-truck locomotive if you did make it standard gauge. I'd almost try to do a prototype drivetrain as well... get a couple of those Tol-O-Matic gearboxes and then some drive shafts and drive them with a 24 volt motor, or two.

To me, the beauty of modeling this particular prototype would be the ability to buy and modify a pair of standard Freight trucks for use, and not have to spend a lot of time fabricating them or a lot of money buying them. If you are going to do that, then you have to make it a standard gauge locomotive.

Keep us posted on what you do with it. Very interesting build, to me. I like the oddball stuff.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Pontiacguy1, you make an excellent point for sticking with 1-1/2" scale!
chooch

Post by chooch »

ironhorseriley wrote:Pontiacguy1, you make an excellent point for sticking with 1-1/2" scale!
Ironhorseriley,

You mentioned "expensive" is Not a word with you. Then check this site out for an idea of mounting a cheap Scooter motor direct to a truck with chain drive, No costly and more work to use Tolo-matic gear boxes, drive shafts and bearing blocks. Lots of SIMPLE home builds on this site that work IF you think outside of the box. Many build subjects on the Right side of this site.

http://www.calvertcentral.com/CC_2014_GP35_p6.html

I have a switcher of four wheel trucks that has a direct Overhead drive to the Bolster of the truck, and then outward to each axle. It will travel /swivel a 25 ft. radius, maybe even a little less. I also have a couple other diesel locos with motors / brackets mounted right on the truck bolster.
I have been called the King of Cheap elsewhere. :-)
chooch
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Chooch,

That is an awesome truck design! I have read some of your other build ideas, but never checked out your Geep build. I don't see why it would not work for me. My yard is flat & I am not going to have the volume and operating frequency of a busy club.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jim,
The truck design and website is Not mine. But, Calvertcentral.com it is a very interesting home built site using many unusual ideas and materials found wherever and whatever that can be put to use with a little imagine.
The site owner is a nice guy and works with Wood! He also provides photos and some text about his builds. A great source for beginners with low funds. Especially for Non steamer locomotives.

I believe I have also mentioned other kinds of truck/motor/drive systems that will well serve electric powered Diesel, steam outline and speeders type equipment such as I have. I mostly home build also to save costs.

PM me if you would like other info.

Thank you.
chooch

ironhorseriley wrote:Chooch,

That is an awesome truck design! I have read some of your other build ideas, but never checked out your Geep build. I don't see why it would not work for me. My yard is flat & I am not going to have the volume and operating frequency of a busy club.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Gotcha.

I am very intrigued with the Calvert Central's use of wood. I am mostly a wood worker as well. It provides encouragement---if there is a will, there is a way!