Remote controlled brakes

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

DFB

Remote controlled brakes

Post by DFB »

Hi all,
My friend Scott Lindsay from J&S railcar is building a steel center cupola caboose for me. I had heard somewhere that some people use some kind of key fob remote control transmitter to apply brakes on their cabooses that have a self contained braking system. They do this when running card order and cut away from their train on the main to keep it from rolling. Does anyone here have such a system? How many things can it control? I guess a better question is how many channels can their be?
Thank you in advance,
Dale
ccvstmr

Re: Remote controlled brakes

Post by ccvstmr »

Dale...
I purchased the keyless transmitter/receiver off Ebay. This hardware is usually coming from SE Asia. You really only need one function to set the brakes or release. However, depending on the remote brake system controls...you may need a relay in the circuit. You will note, the keyless remote systems sometimes have several control options...momentary, latch on-latch off, etc. You'll need to read the descriptions carefully.

Several years ago, I built (3), portable remote brake systems. Sold one...still use the other two. These consist of an air compressor, external check valve, pressure cut in-cut out switch, air reservoir (I used empty hardware store propane cylinder), battery (I use a sealed lead acid 12 volt, 18 amp-hour battery), receiver and Clippard 12 volt solenoid valve. Naturally, there's other pneumatic fittings involved. But like you said, when switching cars...the last thing you want is the back end of the train to roll away.

Oh, one other thing...my caboose marker lights have 2 pole trailer connectors on them. When the marker lights are not tied into the battery for regular train ops, I plug the marker lights into the remote brake unit so the marker lights are on to indicate the rear end brakes are still set. A Clippard quick connector inside the caboose cabin makes for easy hook up and/or removal.

I've posted these photos before...but here they are again if they can provide you with some ideas.

1st photo shows the "pneumatic" side of the brake unit.
2nd photo shows the "electrical" side of the brake unit.
3rd photo shows the portable unit "sandwiched" into a transfer caboose.

Hope this gives you enough info to get started. Carl B.
Attachments
x3015.JPG
x3016.JPG
x3018.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
DFB

Post by DFB »

Carl,
Thank you for the information. It's exactly what I was looking for. I really like how you have everything mounted. Very neat and clean.
Thanks again,
Dale
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Dale...thanks for the compliments. Word of caution...before you start building any kind support structure for all the brake system hardware...measure the inside dimensions where the remote unit will be going.

In the transfer caboose shown...when I rebuilt that car, I left out the floor planks in the cabin area (save 1/4 to 3/8"...yes, things were that tight) and I passed the roof over the table saw sideways (nothing like a 10" Craftsman router) to create more clearance on the top side. It worked. Consider this one of those...been there...done that.

Hope you'll share your "solution" when you get done. I'm sure other board members would be interested. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
DFB

Post by DFB »

Carl,
Thank you for the words of wisdom. When I do get the cab ill build the unit to fit. Once I start work on it I shall post progress as I go. Thank you again for sharing what you had done to give me something to go by. The reason I had asked about different channels were for things like marker lights, parking brake on light, and maybe some kind of hidden behind the rear door glass "backup headlight".
Thank you,
Dale