mechanical remote switch

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

mechanical remote switch

Post by Harlock »

All;

I am looking for examples of a mechanical linkage or mechanism to throw a switch from say 10 feet up the track using a harp stand. No electricity or air available.

Cable or rod mechanism inside a PVC conduit would probably work best. Just trying to puzzle out what the linkage would look like to get side to side motion to translate to back and forth motion along the track, then back to side to side motion at the switch. It would be nice to orient the harp as it would be if it were sitting next to the switch, perpendicular to the track. I think an "L" shaped bracket at least on the switch end might work.

Thank you,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DRS_RR

Re: mechanical remote switch

Post by DRS_RR »

Mike,

Just saw at Fair Weather Foundry he posted new remote switch throws.

I don't have any or have seen them but they sure look promising.

http://www.fairweatherfoundry.com/?page_id=202

Dave
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

DRS_RR wrote:Mike,

Just saw at Fair Weather Foundry he posted new remote switch throws.

I don't have any or have seen them but they sure look promising.

http://www.fairweatherfoundry.com/?page_id=202

Dave
Oh that's a good way to do it. Just need more vertical room underground, but eliminates more complicated geometry.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Mattchoo Z

Post by Mattchoo Z »

Mike,

PM me with your email address, I have pictures of the mechanisms from Portola Valley if that's something you would like to consider.

Matt
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Harlock wrote: Just trying to puzzle out what the linkage would look like to get side to side motion to translate to back and forth motion along the track, then back to side to side motion at the switch.
Can you say "bell crank"?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

it had railway in the title...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSArG07naiU
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harlock wrote:All;

I am looking for examples of a mechanical linkage or mechanism to throw a switch from say 10 feet up the track using a harp stand. No electricity or air available.

Cable or rod mechanism inside a PVC conduit would probably work best. Just trying to puzzle out what the linkage would look like to get side to side motion to translate to back and forth motion along the track, then back to side to side motion at the switch. It would be nice to orient the harp as it would be if it were sitting next to the switch, perpendicular to the track. I think an "L" shaped bracket at least on the switch end might work.

Thank you,

-Mike
Bell cranks and rods were used to control turnouts from an interlocking tower on railroads up until around 1960. An operator in the tower would push or pull a long lever which actuated a rod running along track side linked to a series of bell cranks and ending at the turnout. These rods could be a hundred feet or more in length. Just a little history. I believe it is now done pneumatically.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The operator that I am familiar with, are electric worm screw operators. They have been around a while, and are quite bulletproof.

The old tower operators, not only had reach rods that snaked out to the switches, but interlock levers, that had to be thrown to release the switches. Those interlock levers controlled the signal lights to indicate the track changes to the main line. Thus the name interlock tower, and all the communications from the tower operator back to the Trainmaster. Most of the towers are gone and satellite takes care of the signals, with GPS tracking the head and tail of the trains. Really advanced since the days of the 60's and the end of elegant rail travel.

As for a ground throw, an 8-9 inch lever with a golf ball sized clunk weight,, is enough to hold a reach rod to a switch. Running parallel to the rails, the crank moves the points through a spring setup, to maintain pressure on the points, but will allow running through the spring points without problem. Teh reach rod can be extended past the points, and do the same for the approach, which must be aligned before entering. Really simple, a ten foot rod is only supported by three brackets of angle iron (Aluminum?) along its length. Rods can be painted steel, but SS wont give any problems. The end joints and crank connections are simply round slugs roll pinned to the rod
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamup

Post by steamup »

Finger Lakes Live Steamers has a few switches with remote operators to allow an engineer to throw a switch without getting off of the locomotive. They were designed and built by Hank M., who is a club member. They have a pulley at the bottom that pulls cables through a conduit. Stops on the stand prevent over throw.

You can see the stands in the following link for a Youtube video at 0:49 and 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGAqwggwOk

Here is a link to a still photo from their website:
http://www.pbase.com/flls/image/136113496

I do not have exact details of construction but have used them and they work great. Unfortunately I do not have contact info for Hank but try emailing their board of directors to see if you can get contact info.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Back in 1961, Model Railroader had an article on how to design and build an interlocking switch mechanism. While it was scaled for use on HO or O, the idea could be enlarged. Looks like there is an update available on line:
http://mrr.trains.com/how-to/tips-proje ... cle-series
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.