1" scale Maxitrak electric 0-4-0

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mike Walsh

1" scale Maxitrak electric 0-4-0

Post by Mike Walsh »

Calling 1" scale guys...

I just purchased and am awaiting shipment of a Maxitrak electric 0-4-0 chassis.

Electrical looks like it could use an overhaul.

Does anyone have an electrical schematic for the 0-4-0?

Matt Mason? John Sommer?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Walsh
redneckalbertan

Re: 1" scale Maxitrak electric 0-4-0

Post by redneckalbertan »

I contacted Maxitrak when I bought a used electric 0-6-0. They were able to provide some information about the engine I had. Then, after looking at the system they used to drive the traction motor, I bought a 4qd controller and wired it up how I wanted it.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I have a older unit as does Matt. I would totally remove any old wiring, and as the above poster said, put a 4qd board in. Love the Maxitrak electrics
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
john_sommer

Post by john_sommer »

Hi Mike-

I still have mine, and it still needs a motor and controller. I'm not going to be taking it apart until I figure out what I need to re-build. Something tells me its it's easier to keep all the parts in one place than many :)

I don't have a schematic for it (or any documentation for that matter) on it either. My plan is to find a commercial motor/controller combo to fit rather than try to repair whats there.

She was run hard for over 20 years and deserves a proper restoration.
John Sommer
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I would use a 4QD 40 amp controller. I have built three of the variable control boards from Maxitrak designs over 30 years, but like the 4QD at this point. I'll post pictures of the design (they no longer make this loco and haven't used that control in i don't know how long) and the rats nest it creates when I can get to a computer.
Matt Mason
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Awesome, thanks guys!

I got my chassis yesterday. Needs a little TLC but I'm trying to source a battery (without using my automobile, mind you) before writing off the as-included controller.

I may get the 4QD but I need to get my mill installed first, a cab built for this thing, then I'll look at a controller. I'll probably wire up a pendant as well so I can comfortably run from the riding car.

I'll do a rebuild thread as well. Can't wait to get started!
-Mike
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Here are the pics.
Attachments
My original schematic for the Congress. It is now 30-years old.
My original schematic for the Congress. It is now 30-years old.
My Ruston File is a little easier to read.
My Ruston File is a little easier to read.
The lower-cost option was the two speed model. Here is it's schematic in case that's what you have.
The lower-cost option was the two speed model. Here is it's schematic in case that's what you have.
The rat's nest of my Congress controller before the upgrade to 4QD. It lasted 24 years like this.
The rat's nest of my Congress controller before the upgrade to 4QD. It lasted 24 years like this.
IMG_1036.JPG
Matt Mason
Marty Cozad

Post by Marty Cozad »

any photos of the drive train of your 0-4-0??
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I will Marty. I'm in Reno right now, sop a little ways from my baby. I will also probably have it with me at the Small Scales Meeting in July at St. Croix. Are you going?
Matt Mason