Baldwin RF-16 Sharks in South Australia

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

GM 12 Loco

Re: Baldwin RF-16 Sharks in South Australia

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Will include some shots of my fiberglass moulding process. I had never attempted this before and after talking to a friend of mine who is into customising motor bike fenders and seats, etc out of glass, gave me a few tips. Looks a bit crude I know but the end result was quite reasonable. The steel pattern (previous photo) was coated in a PVA blue release agent (3 coats) and after that dried a coat of brushing gelcote was applied to the pattern. Over several days coats of fiberglass and cloth were added to build up a good thick layer all over. The 'fun' part came when it was time to extract the nose cone - much hot water and air pressure was used to separate the parts and it finally released without too much trouble. The mould was then split down the center and a metal frame work was attached to support the mould so it could be separated afterwards. The same process was then used to produce the fiberglass nose/cab piece. The first one was fairly rough but it cleaned up very well and is now in use under D&H 1216. The steel nose/cab pattern is now dressed as NYC 3805 (in a previous photo) Other details such as cab steps, numberboard and dynamic brake housings were also moulded from acrylic using silicone moulds. This process is very satisfying and also quite messy - many gloves and brushes were used but well worth it.
Regards Graham.
Attachments
Fiberglass nose/cab mould with frame support attached.
Fiberglass nose/cab mould with frame support attached.
Mould assembly.
Mould assembly.
Mould assembly ready for the fiberglass.
Mould assembly ready for the fiberglass.
First nose/cab assembly fresh out of mould.
First nose/cab assembly fresh out of mould.
Dynamic brake housings - 3 required on each side, moulded from acrylic.
Dynamic brake housings - 3 required on each side, moulded from acrylic.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Impressive work! Thanks for sharing.
~RN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

It's great to see another person achieve success. It can only be inspirational.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Adding a few more photos - close ups of both units and rear shot of 1216. NYC 3805 is currently in the shop having its paint job completed and is being fitted up with headlights, marker lights, windshields and numberboards.
Attachments
Close up cab shot of NYC 3805
Close up cab shot of NYC 3805
Cab shot of D&H 1216
Cab shot of D&H 1216
1216 at the turntable
1216 at the turntable
Rear view of 1216
Rear view of 1216
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Impressive! Those sharks look great.

I'm a steam guy, and mostly interested in steam locomotives... However, I always liked the 1st generation diesel locomotives as well, a lot of which were still in operation when I was born. The Baldwin diesels are among the rarest of the rare, and you definitely aren't going to see many shark nosed cab units at any meet you go to! I also like your propulsion method. I guess for me the ultimate drive train would be a diesel powerplant running the generator that you're using. A diesel engine of about 10-12 HP would sound pretty good running that thing.

There is a guy here in Tennessee who built a 6 axle Santa-Fe cab unit, which uses a Kubota Diesel engine in it. I believe it is about 20 HP or something like that. It's a hydraulic drive locomotive, but it sounds neat with a diesel engine in it.

Diesel engines that size are pretty expensive, though, and would have to be packaged carefully.
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Pontiacguy1, Thanks for your positive comments - great to see a steam guy looking at the "diesel" outline stuff as well. Yes, the DC generator/traction motor 'set up' is very efficient and doesn't require a large power plant. The Tsunami sound system that has been installed overrides most of the engine noises and sounds very prototypical - it has even had the "diesel" guys wondering (just for a moment, if there was a small) 608A turbo engine under the hood :o
Cheers, Graham.
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

It has been a couple of weeks now since my last post and 3805 is out of the paintshop dressed in the NYC "Lightning Stripe" scheme with most of the accessories fitted. Horns were cast from aluminium and then shaped on the lathe (that was fun). Front decal is also "home made" scanned from a photo and then printed on clear decal sheet. Just adding a few shots of it sitting in the sunshine ready for some trackwork. It was difficult to obtain the NYC font so I had my local sign writer scan a close up photo I had and then work his magic - I have some spares if anyone is interested, they are one inch high. I trust this info has been useful to folk out there - I have thoroughly enjoyed this project and look forward to many more. Regards, Graham.
Attachments
Front shot of 3805
Front shot of 3805
Roof shot - still have to fit exhaust stack.
Roof shot - still have to fit exhaust stack.
3/4 shot showing NYC lettering on the side - special font was then scanned and cut from white vinyl and applied to both sides.
3/4 shot showing NYC lettering on the side - special font was then scanned and cut from white vinyl and applied to both sides.
Close up shot of NYC lettering
Close up shot of NYC lettering
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I love your D&H engine! I admit I am partial to the darker blue and silver scheme as it looked when the engines were brand new on the D&H, but they faded to the coloring that you used. It is a shame that the real ones are locked up in northern Michigan.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dl ... A9D0689887
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
RioPacific2016

Post by RioPacific2016 »

Graham,
Nice job on the sharks! I find the drive type interesting. Also this same project has been on my nack birner due to the
fact that I couldn't find the actual build plans anywhere as a reference to scale down from. Also I am very interested in the construction process that you used as it seem easy enough. I will be building a set that are 30"wide and 10' long though as they will run on 16" gauge track. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures etc. If you have the time I would like to
Visit about the units. Thank you very much.
Mark Reardon
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Mark, Iam always happy to share info on these units or any others - sounds like the units you have in mind will dwarf my two - should look great though. Where are you located Mark ? Would be happy to make your acquaintance. Regards, Graham.
RioPacific2016

Post by RioPacific2016 »

Graham,
I am located in Oklahoma, very much appreciated the reply and offer to share info. I like you have never done fiberglass work but I'm familiar with it. As for the molds they are the only way to go if you are making more than one piece or part. I am a machinist by trade so I'm familiar with manufacturing processes etc.
I am really interested in the drive as this is really the more prototypical way. I believe this will work for the larger scale as well but maybe with larger dc motors. I will PM you with more details.
Thanks