Baldwin RF-16 Sharks in South Australia

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

GM 12 Loco

Baldwin RF-16 Sharks in South Australia

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Everyone, Iam new to posting on this forum and live in Adelaide, South Australia. I have read topics on this site with interest over the years and have found them to be very informative and useful. I have been building 7.25 inch scale diesel outline locos and assorted rollingstock for many years and was always at a loss to wonder why there weren't many Baldwin cabs around. (yes, I know-too ugly-yeah, right) There are heaps of 'F' unit models around plus the odd Alco and some others, anyways over the last few years I decided to grab the bull by the horns and build a couple of the Baldwin RF-16 "Shark" units. I have started with an all steel nose/cab and shell in 1.5 inch scale and have powered this unit with a 6.5 H.P gas engine driving a 200 amp 30 volt DC generator driving 4 axle hung 24 volt 500 watt motors with enclosed gearboxes. This unit (3805) will be painted in the NYC 'lightning stripe' paint scheme. I have also constructed a mould from the nose/cab and have been able to replicate it in fiberglass. The D&H 1216 battery/electric is constructed from one of these incorporating a metal body shell. 1216 is also equipped with a Tsunami sound board to give that realistic Baldwin engine sound. Both of these units can be M.U.ed to run back to back if desired or used in single operation. There are a few extra bits to be fitted to both units (horns, handrails and windows, etc.) I wont bore you with all of the technical stuff at this stage but if anyone is interested I will be happy to do so. I have visited the USA many times over the last 20 years and have lived in Vancouver, Canada for several of those years (don't hold that against me though) Trust you guys have had a Happy and Safe New Year, Regards Graham Grieger
Attachments
D&H 1216 on the turntable
D&H 1216 on the turntable
Front shot of D&H 1216
Front shot of D&H 1216
Soon to be NYC 3805 with D&H 1216
Soon to be NYC 3805 with D&H 1216
Power around the turntable
Power around the turntable
Last edited by GM 12 Loco on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morten1996

Re: Baldwin RF-16 Sharks in South Australia

Post by morten1996 »

Hi Graham,
Great work on your Sharks! And the D&H-paint job is really fantastic.
These are my favourite 4-axle freight locomotives - great to see them in 1.5", too (although I'll never have the luck to admire them personally).

Kind regards
Norman
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

GM 12 Loco wrote:I wont bore you with all of the technical stuff at this stage but if anyone is interested I will be happy to do so.
I am always interested to hear how others did it, so there won't be any boredom here!

They are beautiful pair of locomotives. By the way, welcome to the site!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I am totally blown away by these two locomotives! I would love to learn more about the powering and how you fabricated the classic Baldwin Shark nose. You are "spot on" regarding construction of minority Diesel builders locomotives. Besides the "Sharks", the FM C-Liner is a much neglected model.

Please, bore us more!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gorgeous Sharks!
Thanks for sharing. Please provide more info on their construction.
Will you be offering fiberglass nose parts?

Welcome here, and Happy New Year!
~RN
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Guys, Thanks for your welcome and positive comments. To answer some of your questions. I got the inspiration to build these locos by reading some (sad) information about the two supposedly remaining units (1205 and 1216) under lock and key in Michigan. I have always had a liking for these units so I said to myself - what the hec, lets try and build 2 units as a representation of what might have been possible in real life, but in model form - so there you have it in a nutshell (takes all types - eh!)
I took a few photos when I was building both units - the plans I used are in a Baldwin RF-16 maintenance manual which I purchased through Ebay some years back along with photos from Diesel Era magazine - Jan/Feb 1991. The frame is constructed from 2 inch X 1/4 angle iron which makes the unit very rigid. The trucks are all cast in aluminum bolted to a steel support frame/bolster assembly - I did all of the castings myself (had a few failures as well) the traction motors (24 volt 500 amp) are fitted with a heavy duty sprocket and chain assembly and use a 3:1 ratio inside of a purpose built aluminium gear case assembly incorporating sealed bearings. This idea eliminates dirt, water, leaves and other garbage from fouling up the works as well as keeping the trucks neat and tidy.
The nose/cab and shell were a challenge but I wasn't going to let that stop me - mad a few (many) mistakes along the way but I think the end result looks pretty close to
the real thing. NP 317 asked about a fiberglass nose/cab - yes I am open to doing some if the need is there (don't know what the freight cost to the USA would be).
I will post a few more photos for you starting with the trucks and nose/cab. I will cover the engine and generator operation next time. I will be happy to answer any queries you may have. Regards. Graham
Attachments
RF-16 Truck
RF-16 Truck
Truck assembly
Truck assembly
Truck assembly - brake hangers not fitted at this time
Truck assembly - brake hangers not fitted at this time
Truck assembly showing position of traction motors
Truck assembly showing position of traction motors
Beginning of nose/cab assy.
Beginning of nose/cab assy.
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Guys, A few extra pics for you - they wouldn't fit on the last post.
Regards Graham.
Attachments
Nose/cab contruction
Nose/cab contruction
A few mistakes but we got there
A few mistakes but we got there
Yes, got there in the end.
Yes, got there in the end.
Fiberglass nose/cab minus doors and steps
Fiberglass nose/cab minus doors and steps
General construction of both units, unfinished F7 in the background
General construction of both units, unfinished F7 in the background
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thank you.
Absolutely "Beautiful" Sharks--that don`t swim. Thank you for showing the photos and Sharing your build efforts for something more unusual and unique as you said.
But wait, do I see a common "F" unit in the shed? (big smile).

chooch
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Graham...beautiful workmanship! If I didn't know better (now)...I'd say those looked like some Model Power HO shark nose locos I used to own. Dang you do nice work. Liked the idea of an enclosed chain drive. A little extra effort up front saves all kinds of potential extra work down the line. That was a good trade-off. Can I ask...where did you get the truck castings? Keep the photos coming! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
DanSmo

Post by DanSmo »

Great fabrication work, getting those curves and lines right (and symmetrical) is very impressive.
I just don't understand pronouncing solder as "sodder"... where did the L go?
GM 12 Loco

Post by GM 12 Loco »

Hi Guys, posting some more build shots for you, concentrating on the engine and generator assembly. The engine is the standard 6.5 H.P. electric start model and is fitted with a 6 inch diameter pulley. Engine is bolted directly to the frame and is relatively vibration free when operating. The generator assembly is a 200 amp, 30 volt D.C. aircraft unit (these generators are perfect for the application - and their construction is bullet proof - there are still plenty of these units available, especially in the USA ) The pulley diam. on the generator is 3 inches. The only alteration required to run these units in this application is that the field coils must be isolated which is not too difficult to do. The reason for this is that a pulse width modulated controller is fitted in series with the field windings to give variable 0 - 12 volts through the fields. Forward and reverse is achieved with a simple switch which is already fitted on the controller (no relays are required). One added bonus is "dynamic brake operation" (no extra charge). Control of these generators by this method is so simple its ridiculous and it is also very smooth in operation - no jerking. I have also fitted a blower to keep the generator running cool - I use a car heater fan motor (works a treat) These PWM controllers are inexpensive (about $20 on Ebay) Engine revs vary automatically with the inbuilt governor on the engine but you can fit a cable operated throttle if required. I have been using this system for many years and people using it are amazed at the smooth operation. I have also experimented with alternators but for me the generator system runs rings around that. Seems to me that some modellers prefer hydraulic drive, well I will stick with electrics I'm sure. Iam happy to answer any questions you may have - trust this has got you thinking. Regards Graham.
Attachments
Engine and generator assembly (right side of loco)
Engine and generator assembly (right side of loco)
Engine and generator assembly (left side of loco) note alternator fitted below generator in fuel tank area - blower fitted for gen. also
Engine and generator assembly (left side of loco) note alternator fitted below generator in fuel tank area - blower fitted for gen. also
aerial view of engine/gen assy.
aerial view of engine/gen assy.
Right side showing air reservoir and electric compressor for brakes and horns
Right side showing air reservoir and electric compressor for brakes and horns
Left side of loco showing air reservoir and gen. blower assy.
Left side of loco showing air reservoir and gen. blower assy.
Last edited by GM 12 Loco on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

Many thanks for the construction's photos, Graham.
As alread mentioned, great craftsmanship!

Regards
Norman
Last edited by morten1996 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.