1942 Army loco. 2/5 scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

1942 Army loco. 2/5 scale.

Post by 6491 »

Just thought that I would start a thread on my little locomotive that is in the process of being built.
Early in the conflict in the Pacific the AIF (Australian Imperial Forces) felt that there would be a need for a transport system that could be easily transported to the various points in the region. Transport was virtually non existent on the many islands.
Malcolm Moore was contracted to build 100 small Ford V8 powered loco's and sections of potable track. 94 were built before the USA was brought into the conflict and the situation changed dramatically.
None of the locomotives were used in the war zone and after the return to peace they were used by many industries for light duties. Many are still working in the tourist trade run by museums and private individuals.
My model is being built to 2/5 scale or 40% full size. The fact that the model is only one metre long gives an idea to their diminutive size.

First photo is from 1943 in the Northern Territory in Army duty.

This is a copy of erection plans.

The start of my model, 8mm plate, 1 metre long, 250mm high.

Last edited by 6491 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.
ChipsAhoy

Re: WW2 Australian Army loco.

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Trying to find some history and more Info on this little guy. Looks like a handy switcher.
What gauge was/is the prototype, or for that matter, what gauge is the model you are building?

Is there a nomenclature for it, or a numerical designation of the prototype?

Thx
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

From the looks of the work bench it is not going to be a "Little Guy"

JB
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Found one... i think.
Attachments
malcom 4.jpg

Post by 6491 »

Good morning...I did not put too much information until I saw if there was any interest as it is a bit out of the realm of most on this forum.
On the original war time paper work they here just written as " 2'-0" Gauge Ford V8 Loco ". Most here now know them as Malcom Moore the name of the manufacture, also shown as a large cast name plate on the grille.
As you can see from above they were built to 2 foot gauge, a common gauge for the sugar industry. This gauge is still used for sugar cane haulage here with over 3000klm. of track along the east coast of Queensland. My model is being built to 7.25 inch gauge.
There are a number of Malcom Moore's built to 1/3 scale around but I wanted to build ride on, not ride behind hence the slightly larger scale. After a study under a full size unit I decided that they could easily be regauged to 18 inch so my story would not be such a fairy-tale.
I have a large collection of photo's that I will share if you are interested also have been documenting my build so will show more as I go along...

Most units have now had their original V8 replaced with diesel motors, but a couple in local museums still have their flat-head power.

Have a good one....John.

Post by 6491 »

I am not having a lot of joy with photobucket, made my photo's a more suitable size then found them gone......
That's life, anyhow I was looking for ideas for a new Minimal loco when we called in at the Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Woodford. They have 3 Malcolm Moore loco's there and they gave me some ideas. I had got to like the ride on nature of my previous engine http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 3&t=100528 and had decided to follow this setup again.
With this design I could have my cake and eat it too, ride on and scale model. The Little Goose was petrol/electric and I decided to go this way again. But in the meantime I have tired of club politics and have decided to build a short section of track in my garden so to keep neighbours at bay it is back to battery electric, although I have the petrol setup here which could be built as a module to fit in place of the batteries.
Just a quick plan to show my lines of thought....

I think that I have sorted out the photo problem....
Have a good one....John.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I am intrigued....

Are you concerned about the distance between the drivers and the journal boxes? Or perhaps I should ask, 'Have you decided on the diameter of the axles'?

This one is cute... but too small for my likings. I, like you, prefer a sit-upon to use as a functional switcher.
Attachments
malcom 7.jpg
malcom 7.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 20377 times
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

I don't think John will have any problems with his wheel to bearing distance. My 7-1/2" gauge 'Lister' has a 3-1/2" gap between wheel and bearing on a 1" dia. axle. I will be adding an 1-1/4" o.d. 'telescoping' tube sleeve, just to make sure, but I've had most of the weight of bodywork and Engineer on it and no problems so far.
A top view of the Lister chassis during test runs.
A top view of the Lister chassis during test runs.
Mike, Erskine Tramway
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Mike:
Do you have a guess about how many hours/miles on the axles? The 1 1/4" sleeve is to add strength?

I have some Plymouth/Davenport switcher chassis, that I am kinda sorta thinking about repurposing, this might make a useful fun project.

another... they are everywhere... (on the net).
Attachments
malcom 6.jpg
malcom 6.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 20365 times
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

ChipsAhoy wrote:Mike:
Do you have a guess about how many hours/miles on the axles? The 1 1/4" sleeve is to add strength?

I have some Plymouth/Davenport switcher chassis, that I am kinda sorta thinking about repurposing, this might make a useful fun project.
Not yet, 'Chips'. But I'm not concerned. The 'sleeves' are to be both spacers, to transfer side loads to the bearings, and to stiffen the axles. I don't know if they will so much add strength, but they will help keep them from bending. The axles are ground and polished 'keyway' stock, I think they will be plenty strong.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

couple more...
Attachments
malcom 1.jpg
malcom 1.jpg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 20349 times
malcom 2.jpg
malcom 2.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 20349 times

Post by 6491 »

ChipsAhoy, I am by no means an engineer so have a tendency to make thing heftier than I think they should be. I have made my axles from 42mm round bar, wheels have a centre bore of 35mm and they drop to 30mm for the bearings.
The loco you show in the photo is 1/3 scale, this guy had a couple for sale on DiscoverLiveSteam at one time.
Just realised the first photo is also yours. That is Dave Webb's loco in Tasmania also 1/3 size. It is petrol/electric. http://www.smex.net.au/Bouldercreek/Bld ... _Locos.php

These are the electric motors that I am using. 420watts each at 24 volts. I have seen a couple loco's using these locally quiet successfully.

What is handy on these units is that the gearbox has a neutral lever which will make it a lot easier moving around manually. The automatic brake system that seems to give a lot of people trouble was only a five minute job to remove.

Have a good one....John.