Old Topic--Titan Trains / MCC

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

765nkp

Re: Old Topic--Titan Trains / MCC

Post by 765nkp »

A friend of mine has ordered several cars and has had great service.

Tim
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

In my previous posting on this subject, I had neglected to mention that I had one of MCC's Diesels on order.

I did not want to comment at that time, but having finally received delivery, I will now post a comment about that order.

In the beginning of January 2015, I put down a deposit with MCC by phone with Jim Humphrey, it was for a radio controlled GP-9, unpainted; Jim promised me fabrication by March/April 2015.

There then began some "Charley Brown - Lucy - Football" like communications about it's fabrication, where they had it almost finished, and then communication would stop, and I had to ask again, "why the delay?"

This continued thru their change into Titan Trains, until this fall, when Mike, at TT, assured me that Jim Humphrey said, "This time the fabrication of my locomotive is CARVED IN STONE!".

Yes, this time Jim was right, after 35 months +19 days the unit arrived at the Palatine Depot of UPS Frate.

I'm not sure what caused all those near misses, it may have been because of their new digs, or whatever?

It certainly is a well crafted unit, runs very well, works great with RC, and I will continue to buy from them, but wait only the PayPal limit from now on.

The crate weighed 900 pounds, so I needed help, two friends, Jeff Hook of the Lake Forest Live Steamers, and Ean Alexander a real locomotive engineer with 37 years with the C&NW/UP, helped in getting it running.

Unfortunately, that was Wednesday, I ran it again in Saturday's cold, and today it sits covered up waiting for spring; right now it's around 12' with 2"s of snow and more to come during the next few months!

Below are some photos of this project:
DSC_2824_2.jpg
DSC_2846_2.jpg
DSC_2869_2.jpg
DSC_2903_2.jpg
DSC_2892_2.jpg
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Photos Part 2:
DSC_2904_2.jpg
DSC_2920_2.jpg
DSC_2925_2.jpg
DSC_2933_2.jpg
DSC_2945_2.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Silver Streak! Looking' good!
Nice detailing on the loco body.
~RN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Looks really nice!
As a former small business owner 10 years ago, things happen that are beyond our control sometimes. I know I had issues with customs that tied up my merchandise, and I was late on several deliveries and had customers going nuts even though I kept them filled in exactly on what was happening.
Also had a friend working on a bunch of R&D contracts that had to drop them for several months because he came down with Stage 4 cancer. Sadly you can't tell people you do business with that you have cancer because then they will send the wolves after their money, the last thing someone needs when their fighting for their life. Thing is, we both made good on our promises and my friend did what he could between chemo sessions, although late.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rkcarguy wrote: even though I kept them filled in exactly on what was happening.
That's a world apart from "lip service", whereby one is told what one hopes to hear, in spite of the fact that there's not one bit of truth to the provided story.

I, too, was self employed. From age 28, until I retired at age 54, in fact.
I didn't leave my customers hanging. If difficulties were at hand, customers were properly (and honestly) informed. Seems that's not always a quality offered by some.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Always provide the truth.
Then there's nothing to remember...
~RN
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I had a customer in my shop when another customer called to ask 'how's my boiler coming?' I answered 'well, I haven't started it yet'.
The customer standing in the shop said 'I can't believe you told him that!'
I responded - 'Why not? It's the truth!'
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

From my experience I don't know why they would call, Marty. You kept me well informed and hit all the dates. Just calling to shoot the breeze is keeping you guys away from the work!
John Brock