For those that have been following my builds

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cbrew

For those that have been following my builds

Post by cbrew »

Here is the debute of the obs. she tracked wonderfully.
this recharged my batteries for getting on the four remaining coaches
Attachments
trainset.jpg
trainset1.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Re: For those that have been following my builds

Post by NP317 »

Looking good!
~RN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Agree...that train is looking good Chris. Any idea what those cars tip the scales at (empty)? Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote:Looking good!
~RN
Thanks. Missed you yesterday ;)
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

ccvstmr wrote:Agree...that train is looking good Chris. Any idea what those cars tip the scales at (empty)? Carl B.
Hi Carl, the trucks weight in around 45 lbs fully dressed and would say the car bodies are around 50 to 60 lbs with out the roofs. a full roof is good for another ~ 25 lbs

this is just a good guess, but my goal was to make these as light as possible. if i remember, I will place each component on the scale as i build the coaches.
chooch

Post by chooch »

I`ll toast a `Maxwell House` to your very-Very nice looking train. Steam loco and `Passenger` cars fit together quite well.
Good to see Passenger cars being built for a change. Inspired.
chooch
little giant

Post by little giant »

Looks fantastic! How many people (passengers) do you estimate that you will be able to pull when you finish all of the coaches?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

little giant wrote:Looks fantastic! How many people (passengers) do you estimate that you will be able to pull when you finish all of the coaches?
If Chris let's me double-head my Ten Wheeler with his, we could pull MANY cars and passengers...

Chris: You haven't seen me yet on the PNWLS rails (or at James N.'s) due to my new and still-healing right knee. Recovery is slowed due to some complications. Hopefully I can be out and about steaming in June. Also, moving-in projects are keeping me at home. Like yesterday's replacement of the old septic tank... Don't worry. A contractor did the work.

"Give me steam, or give me death!"
Well, maybe not so extreme...
Still limping along,
~RN
TM008 (med).jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

little giant wrote:Looks fantastic! How many people (passengers) do you estimate that you will be able to pull when you finish all of the coaches?
I am not building these to haul people, we have purpose built cars for that,
the obs is setup to ride my wife (conductor) and dog (barkman).

my original plan was to NOT allow any riders on the coaches, by I am thinking i may set them up like the obs to allow a single rider (friend and family only)
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

chooch wrote:I`ll toast a `Maxwell House` to your very-Very nice looking train. Steam loco and `Passenger` cars fit together quite well.
Good to see Passenger cars being built for a change. Inspired.
chooch
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote:
If Chris let's me double-head my Ten Wheeler with his, we could pull MANY cars and passengers...

Chris: You haven't seen me yet on the PNWLS rails (or at James N.'s) due to my new and still-healing right knee. Recovery is slowed due to some complications. Hopefully I can be out and about steaming in June. Also, moving-in projects are keeping me at home. Like yesterday's replacement of the old septic tank... Don't worry. A contractor did the work.

"Give me steam, or give me death!"
Well, maybe not so extreme...
Still limping along,
~RN
TM008 (med).jpg
anytime my friend, i look forward to it, I am wanting to have 10 to 12 cars by the time the next triennial comes around, if that happens, I will need the extra motive power ;)

understand, just take the time to let it heal correctly, I have the ten wheeler home for some fine tuning and to work on the smaller tasks needed (brakes, air compressor, lights, etc.)

see you soon
Chris
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

cbrew wrote:
little giant wrote: I am not building these to haul people, we have purpose built cars for that,
the obs is setup to ride my wife (conductor) and dog (barkman).

my original plan was to NOT allow any riders on the coaches, by I am thinking i may set them up like the obs to allow a single rider (friend and family only)
Chris...I'm with you 100% on this! Years ago as my fleet of rolling stock was expanding, the original intent was to make most of the cars into riding cars...and share the hobby/experience with other people. Didn't take long to see that riders (in particular strangers)...didn't give a damn about the time, effort and workmanship that went into building models. They would scrape the paint with their shoes, kick details and oh yeah...leave their garbage behind for someone else to dispose.

At that time, I decided all "show cars" would remain show cars. The roofs for the box car and reefer would remain in place. Riding cars would be either flat cars or gondolas with a riding seat or cushion. These cars were meant to take a beating and keep on ticking. Besides...I liked the idea of a loco pulling a model train along the track...as opposed to a toboggan train of people. The rolling stock stands a better chance of surviving damage when the human element is not involved. That's not to say I don't occasionally provide rides to club visitors...but access is extremely limited based on how much I want to share and risk.

Once you build and decorate a piece of equipment...you can only hope it stays pristine...as long as possible. You've got the start of a nice passenger train there. When you control access to that equipment...it stands a better chance of looking nice several years from now. Hope you can make that happen. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!