What are riding car stabilizers?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dale_F

What are riding car stabilizers?

Post by Dale_F »

I read an article recently that just mentioned the term "built in stabilizers" when referring to 7 1/2" riding cars. I felt that I was supposed to know what they were talking about, but subsequent searches have not helped me figure it out. Can someone explain what they are referring to, and are they a good thing?

Thanks
STRR

Re: What are riding car stabilizers?

Post by STRR »

Good Luck
Last edited by STRR on Thu May 19, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Bill Conner designed a riding car that equalized the side-to side movements from the two trucks. It was really great at keeping the top of the car level and stable, and as long as the cars were loaded with about the same weight on both trucks they were extremely stable. They almost never derailed, and were great for hauling the public on. The rock pads on the trucks had a linkage and a rod that went to a rock pad on the opposite truck so that if one truck tried to lean one way, it would equalize with the other truck. Like I said, as long as the weight on the two trucks was fairly close, the cars were extremely stable.

If you had a very heavy person on one end and not much on the other, then the equalizers would actually derail the light truck sometimes if the car tried to rock. I've seen literally dozens of these cars down at Mid-South and they worked great.

Maybe that is what was being talked about?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Can you post some sort of diagram? Iam having trouble visualizing where the attachment points might be, and what the linkage would like like.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Sorry, no I can't. If I get a chance sometime I might take a picture of the underside of one of his cars. I don't own one, though, so it might be a while.

Bill also pioneered the use of needle bearings running on hardened die pins which were pressed into the axles. His trucks are all welded together, are extremely rugged, and I know of some that have been running for well over 30 years without any issues.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

The Bill Conner device sounds to me exactly like an automobile "Sway-Bar" or "Anti-Roll Bar." Basically, the lever arm is a "U-Shape" , where the bottom of the U is mounted to the chassis on rigid bearings that let it pivot axially. A linkage connects the two tops of the U to the moving suspension, in this case, one side of each truck. This has to be the same side.
When an auto turns right, for example, the chassis drops towards the ground on the left side, shortening the distance between the pivot bearing and the suspension. The sway bar tries to make the right side also lift by the same amount, in effect trying, in extreme, to lift the right side wheels off the ground. This adds weight to that side, counteracting the tendency to roll. I have seen many race cars actually 3-wheel it through a corner due to a very stiff front sway bar.
Last edited by Kimball McGinley on Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale_F

Post by Dale_F »

Is there a chance someone from the referenced Mid-South club could offer some additional info and possibly pictures or diagrams on the way the trucks are set up on the riding cars? Or if anyone else has sketches or photos, those would be great also.

This started as a simple question but has gotten pretty interesting. Why is this not the standard on every club riding car in use in every club? Is it that much safer, or does it not trally make any great difference? Does this cause problems in other ways? It seems if there is something that makes a safety difference when pulling public, it would be universally used.

In any case, I would sure love more information.
Thanks.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Kimball McGinley wrote: I have many race cars actually 3-wheel it through a corner due to a very stiff sway bar.
If your VW Rabbit is cornering on four wheels, you're not going fast enough!

Steve
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I am from the Mid-South club. I just won't be where I can get any pictures of it for another week or two.