Converting 1946 tender to pull behind Wagon

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Atkinson_Railroad

Converting 1946 tender to pull behind Wagon

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

The tender for a locomotive my grandfather finished in 1948 has become
a candidate for conversion into a “Radio Flyer” pull behind wagon.
I’m looking at different options for wheels, tires, suspension, etc.

Durability, the lowest part count and light weight are among my major objectives.

A Google search of “wagon suspension” reveals numerous creative ways people have
converted a wagon, and most of them tend to look like monster trucks.

What kind of light weight tire/wheel arrangement do you see on a 1-1/2” scale locomotive
tender, if it were to be converted to a pull behind wagon?

The all aluminum tender shown here for reference:
http://www.pbase.com/visual_first/image/148983136/large

John
Glenn Brooks

Re: Converting 1946 tender to pull behind Wagon

Post by Glenn Brooks »

So, do you want the wheels to sit under the tender, like trucks? Or do you care if the wheels fit outside the tender body, Ala covered wagon style.

For outside wheels, Seems like an easy install with 4 cheap lawn mower wheels and two pieces of 1/2" rod for axles. Make a frame with a bolt/pin to mount in the existing front pin assembly, to allow turning, and bolt or weld two a-frame brackets with bearings to the rear, for the rear axle.

If you want to keep the original look, I suppose you would make a simple set of trucks with 8 small caster wheels to simulate RR wheels....
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Atkinson_Railroad

Thank you for replying Glenn;

From an esthetic viewpoint, the wheels should indeed replicate "trucks".
This is my engineering struggling point. (Pivot points, smooth operation, etc.)

Durability, the lowest part count and light weight are among my major objectives.
There's no mention of "cheap". It costs, what it costs. (Mostly time ; )

The trucks currently on the tender were constructed from canvas base phenolic, and stainless steel.
Hence, their longevity to date. The tender body is all aircraft riveted aluminum.

In the end... as most anyone within this activity knows... we all... ultimately do... what we decide to do.

Any other ideas chiming in, I'll definitely be reading. There are a lot of brilliant people here.

John
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

If you are going to use some type of trucks under the tender as wheelsets, be sure that they pivot near the front of the truck, or you'll never be able to pull your wagon along. If you use trucks and have it pivot near the front of the truck, you'll never be able to push it backwards without it jamming up, either.

I would actually recommend that you make it with only 4 wheels and without the trucks if you plan on it being as maneuverable and as useful as a regular wagon. If your main intent is to make it look like a normal tender, then do the trucks by all means.

This is all assuming that the rear truck will pivot. If you don't make it pivot, then you'll probably need each wheel to roll independently or it won't turn very well.
Atkinson_Railroad

Good points Pontiac.
Yes, the trailing wheels would be fixed and the front set made to pivot or "steer" as found on a regular wagon.
And of course all the wheels would need to roll independently as you mention.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Maybe consider this. Make the rear truck fixed with all four wheels independent of the axles. Make the front truck fixed with each pair of wheels on steerable spindles like an automobile. The spindles would be interconnected and designed with some caster and camber. Towbar connected so that it turns the spindles for steering. Multi axle heavey equipment is set up like this. It would be much more stable than a center axle pivot like a typical wagon. Gives you all the wheels the tender should have.
Another idea would be to add the "road" axle between the "rail" axles using just 4 wheels contacting the ground. Kinda like a reverse highrail setup. Maybe skate board wheels would work if your planning pavement operation.
Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
WJH

Post by WJH »

Is this for a steam tractor? I don't understand why some one would convert a locomotive tender for this role