Electric motor question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cp4449

Electric motor question

Post by cp4449 »

Ok hard to explain. I have a 1" scale model of a Pacific Electric RR frieght motor. Made out of wood for cab, metal for the trucks and frame. Each axle has a direct drive electric motor attached to it, i.e. There are 4 motors on it. There are no markings on the motors. There are four wires going to each, 2 white, 2 different. They are about 2" thick, 3" long.

When I bought this the guy selling knew nothing about it. I will have to make a riding/power car. It looks like it was made in the early 1960-70s.

What I do not know is 12 volts or 24? I plan to restore the lighting to LED, and put a modern control in it.

Any help would be appreciated
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
GooseOrBust

Re: Electric motor question

Post by GooseOrBust »

I have an electric locomotive made in the 70's it may be similar, but your description is difficult to follow.

Please post some pictures.

Dave
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Talk to John Smith at LALS.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I will try for photos, and also talk to John. Thanks Gary
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Fender

Post by Fender »

One thing to consider: small dc motors are much better now than they were forty years ago. It may be to your advantage to replace these with new, more efficient motors with known specifications.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

It sounds as though the traction motors have wound fields. If so, they are superior to permanent magnet motors for propulsion purposes. I would not replace them.

Are there any identifying marks on the motors, such as manufacturer and part number?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D