Brakes for Railroad Supply Passenger Cars?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Miserlou57

Brakes for Railroad Supply Passenger Cars?

Post by Miserlou57 »

I recently picked up some passenger cars built by Railraod Supply. They are the 10ft cars with 3-axle trucks. They don't have brakes on them, and I'd like to change that, specifically with vacuum brakes.

Railroad Supply's website makes no mention of brakes being available for them. In fact, there aren't any prices for the cars at all. They're barely pictured. I have emailed them a day or so ago, and haven't heard back. I know they go slowly sometimes, and that's okay, so I'll give them some time.

However, I am very much familiar with Titan trains (formerly Mountain Car) and their passenger cars. They definitely have brakes, which are readily available to order right now, which is a very tempting solution.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience mixing parts from the two. The 3-axle trucks look very similar, but I'm sure they have their differences.

Does anyone have any experience mixing the two? At this point, I'd much prefer to buy the brakes from Titan, if they fit.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Trainman4602

Re: Brakes for Railroad Supply Passenger Cars?

Post by Trainman4602 »

I use a scooter band brake. It works quite well. I went to this system after having many issues with out of adjustment conventional shoe style brakes. I have been running these cars with the band brake or 5 years.

The video is one of my early ones so the sound is a bit bad but you can get the idea. I could post more pictures If needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOlYpFnfAvE

ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Call Mike after 6pm. He doesn't do email and don't leave a voice mail...he won't get it.

Jim B
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

If you have access to "So you want to build a live steam locomotive"
by Joseph Foster Nelson there is a chapter on brakes, particularly Chet Petersen's
design for vacuum brakes he used on his six wheel passenger trucks. The same
Railroad Supply trucks and the same brakes you'll get from Railroad Supply
today. Working leaf springs, working coil springs and working swing hangers.

Congratulations on the trucks. No finer Pullman six wheel passenger trucks
in that type on the market.

Brian
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I'm Sorry mine are as good but I no longer produce them.

BTW I have 21 vacuum brake chambers exactly like the type Peterson used. I want to sell all in one lot. I can post pictures

Also the working leaf springs cause nothing but trouble. To stiff . It destroys the swing motion. I got rid of the leaf years ago. My trucks track perfectly.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

As I recall the RRSC vacuum brake system used a Lincoln vacuum actuator diaphragm assembly. Unfortunately this part is no longer available. It was for (I think) a 1954 Lincoln. I would suggest that you think about auto air brakes for the whole train. Several systems have been designed and they work very well.
Cary
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I have 21 of those exact vacuum chambers brand new in the box. I want to sell them.