SW1200 Drawings

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

davidqueener

SW1200 Drawings

Post by davidqueener »

Gentlemen,

I have a one-to-one scale project I have been asked to help with, and I am hoping one of you can direct me in the right direction. Knoxville Locomotive Works will be repowering a full-size SW1200 with a new German-built 4 cycle diesel, yanking the EMD 12-567, and retaining the EMD electrical gear. I have been asked to draw the frame and the unit's AAR Type A switcher trucks in SolidWorks. So what I am looking for are EMD drawings for the

(1) Frame
(2) AAR Type A switcher truck parts
(3) Elevation & Section drawings

What I have is a general arrangement for the Type A switcher truck, with some dimensioning, so it is a starting point, but that's about it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Dave Queener
Knoxville, Tennessee
Pastor, St. Paul Presbyterian Church
www.StPaulPres.com (865) 209-5654

Owner, Cumberland Model Engineering
www.CumberlandModelEngineering.com (865) 947-7935
ALCOSTEAM

Re: SW1200 Drawings

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

In the many years since the 1200's came out there have been all kinds of modifications and repowerings. EMD pretty much got it right, just look at how many are still puttering around in their original configuration. Those modified ones are history.
What makes this german diesel so great or different to make it worthy of tearing a 1200 apart to modify it.
davidqueener

Post by davidqueener »

The short answer is EPA regs for Tier 0-4 emissions compliance. Just replacing the power assemblies now force a rebuilder / shop into some form of upgrades. The German 4 stroke is designed with EGR, so it's exhaust is much cleaner, less NOx than the 12-567.

I agree, however, that the 567 was a great design for its time and is still rugged. Considering these locos are 50+ years old now, they were a bargain. They epitomize the old cliche' "drive it forever."

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind to have one in 1.6" scale to ride around on.

Dave

Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

This PDF file is a handy reference related to SW1200 locomotive trucks:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/emd-mpc-1500.pdf

John
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Dave,

Several things are against you. EMD drawings are more difficult to come by than a lot of others. Second, as referenced by others, over the years mods in design took place. Then there are the unknowns like frame twisting and the like. If I were in your shoes, I'd remove the hood, the 567 and generator. Pressure wash the engine room and then laser scan the engine room. From that cloud of points, prepare your 3d drawing. The most critical thing is preparing absolutely flat engine mounts and generator supports if necessary. If you find irregularities in elevation, you may need to employ a machinery leveling service to identify exact amounts of requisite shims.

For the rest of the loco, you could also laser scan it too. It depends what you need to do. If you are going to attempt to use these drawings for calculating Center of Gravity you have a lot more work ahead of you. If all you need them for is designing the new hoods around the engine and it's appurtenances, then a walk around scan is good enough.

If all else fails, I have a drawing for a Baldwin AAR type A truck and brake arrangement. The motor mounts will be different because of the larger Westinghouse motors that Baldwin used. The axle to axle measurement is 8 ft. It's a 150meg file. If you need it contact me off list.

A Kalmbach book, Our GM Scrapbook, 1971, Library of Congress # 73-160040, too early for ISBN #, contains a very rudimentary side elevation, end elevations for both ends, and top looking down view. Very minimal measurements. No cross sections. Kalmbach may have the EMD drawings. And then there is always EMD in Muncie IN.

Another source is:
http://trainiax.net/mescaleloco-results ... &scale55=1
He also has 2d cad drawings available that could be imported.

Mark_Landgraf at yahoo dot com
Albany, NY
davidqueener

Post by davidqueener »

John,

The PDF file you linked showing the part numbers for the EMD version of the AAR Type A switcher truck is very helpful. The EMD Truck Assembly drawing I have is not the same as listed in the replacement parts documents, but the individual part drawings listed in the assembly title block may cross-reference. This at least is progress.

Somewhere there must be an archives with the individual part drawings.

Have anyone here ever actually contacted EMD for part drawings and gotten a positive reply, in particular since they were bought out by Progress Rail / Caterpillar? The 1200s are nearly 60 year old locomotives long out of production.

Thanks for your help,

Dave Queener
Knoxville, Tennessee

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

David Q: What comes to my mind is that The orange pumpkin Line, or EJ&E that serves US Steel still runs switchers by the dozen, as big road units are not suited for the work in plant with short shuffling of cars. The Same with the old Bethlehem plant in NW Indiana, now owned by Arcellor Mittel. The 'J' had embarked on a rebuild program some years back to overhaul its fleet at a rate of 2+ engines per year. I never heard back about that horizon, but was told rehab of the switcher fleet was the focus, as new units were unavailable or too pricey.

I would think the maintenance departments must have blueprints and specs. Getting co=operation to look and respond is another matter.

Another possibility is a rebuilder known as Chrome Crankshaft, in the Blue island area of Illinois. They have a yard full of carcuses. They rebuild mostly smaller units for industry.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.