Repair cast aluminum trucks?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Jawn

Re: Repair cast aluminum trucks?

Post by Jawn »

Finally got these back together. I milled the ears off the end then drilled and tapped the end of the bolster. Next I cut a chunk of aluminum stock slightly oversize, drilled it to match. Then I screwed it into place, put the bolster in the mill and cut it to final size to complete it.

The slightly crooked screws annoy me a little, setup in the drill press was a little wonky. Should have tried to set it up in the mill. But in any case, it appears this fix will work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-IxKq ... sp=sharing

(pardon the link, seems this site isn't playing nice with embedded google drive links)
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Interesting fix. I truly hope this works for you.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

slightly crooked screws annoy me a little
Counter sink the screws and hide with JB weld. Then only you will know.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Dick_Morris wrote:
slightly crooked screws annoy me a little
Counter sink the screws and hide with JB weld. Then only you will know.
I thought about that but given the nature of the repair, but I want the ability to snug up the screws if they defeat the loctite and start to work out.

I bought a 1x2 steel tube a while back, guess I'll start knocking together a flat car chassis to go on top of these trucks. :)