1" scale Railway Bridge in Hawaii

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

1" scale Railway Bridge in Hawaii

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Caught a glimpse of this model Railway trestle today at the Oahu Railway Society, out at Ewa Beach yards. Walked around into the siding and back shops for a closer look. Only thing I could determine is that some one donated it to the RR and they placed it on top of a couple of shipping containers for safe storage. Maybe I will be able to go back out and make further inquiries next week. They have no live steam ROW... 30" ga historical RY preservation is their primary interest.

The trestle is approximately 18' - 20' long and the bed is about 20" to 24" wide. Height to top of trestle around 3'- maybe 40". All steel construction, rivets holding the top longitudinal I-beams to the verticals. The vertical beams show a great detail of detailed work - cross bracing, etc. Initially I thought the bed frame appeared to be 2" ship channel, but in the photos, it looks like 2-4" flat bar. Clearly I didn't spend enuf time looking at the details.... must go back and rectify :lol:

For scale purposes, the photos show it sitting on top of two shipping containers, 8' in the air. So I figure it might accommodate 3/4" or 1" scale ROW equipment. Definitely to small for 7.x" ga model trains.

So far as I know there are no current live steam clubs on Oahu, so this likely was made by an individual enthusiast, and donated to the Railway Society after he or she left the islands. When we lived on Oahu in the mid '90's I heard about a couple of 3/4" scale guys building and operating backyard railroads. So maybe this was made by one of those folk. However it doesnt appear badly rusted and doesn't look that old. Interesting mystery.

Thought the group might enjoy seeing a couple of pics.

Aloha!
Glenn
1" scale trestle ???
1" scale trestle ???
Closer view
Closer view
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
kcameron

Re: 1" scale Railway Bridge in Hawaii

Post by kcameron »

Glen,

I think it wasn't for 1", at least not riding version. The clearance from track to overhead still needs to be at least 60" to clear the rider. Not much different from 1.5" scale. The rider is still the same.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ken, Yes, you are correct. I was able to go back out and talk to the Railway Society Ops Manager on Wednesday, also,take a closer look. Although pretty well to scale for 3/4", and fully 20' long, it would not allow an engineer to pass through the upright beams. The Trestle actually was built for a Garden Scale double track layout in a member's back yard in Hawaii a number of years ago. When this fellow moved back to the mainland, he 'donated' it to the Hawaii Railway Society, sort of in the middle of the night. They asked me if I would like to take it with me when I returned home to Washington - free. Had to demure.

So if we have any takers, sounds like it is readily available. FOB, Ewa Beach, Oahu.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

TSK, tsk, tsk! Another case of midnight bridge dumping! So sad....