My first caboose build

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

My first caboose build

Post by OddDuck »

I decided to put my new caboose pedestals to good use and decided to build myself one. I started building this two Fridays ago. I'm using the "build a plywood box and attach stuff to it" method of construction. I have the sheathing done and the roof on, next will be the bottom frame and I'll detail it when I get it on its wheels.
I'm modeling it after a Maryland and Pennsylvania bobber, I had a good set of measured drawings, and I liked the spring rigging.
Attachments
20170205_093553.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Re: My first caboose build

Post by OddDuck »

Here's today's work, cast the caboose steps and some poling pockets.
Attachments
20170205_152510.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Nice job, did you cover the 'plywood box' with sheeting or did you scribe the individual board lines in the plywood? If the sheeting was individual boards, what type of wood did you use? John

Ps. You're a pretty good pattern maker too.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks, my patternmaking methods and materials would probably leave an actual patternmaker in an apoplectic fit, but they work for me.
As far as the siding, it is individual strips, 3/4" wide to simulate a 6" board width in 1/8th scale. Pretty simple, really, I just got the clearest pine board at Lowe's that I could find and ripped it into 1/8" thick strips. No special equipment for the bevel, either, I just set my bandsaw table to 45 degrees, and set up a guide board so that when I ran the strips through, it just took the corner off. Watch your fingers when you do this, by the way. One of the things that I liked about this was that the bevel wasn't pristine, it was a bit on the rough side, and after knocking the fuzz off with a sanding block it looked like a board that may have been rough milled. After that I glued and bradded the strips one at a time to the shell. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. For glue I use Gorilla brand wood glue, pretty good stuff and sets up quickly enough that if you have a piece that is too small to nail it will still stay in place.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I saw this caboose in person, and it is awesome. The metal details will only make it better.

I would think this would be a good time to hit up the Duck for steps and similar details, while he's in a casting mood.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I still have a bunch of pedestals from the first batch, available for immediate delivery. ..
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I'm far from needing a caboose as I haven't completed any of my locomotives yet, but, I like to see what other builders are doing and how they're doing it. I like to experiment with techniques to see how difficult they are to do and how well they turn out. OddDuck's caboose caught my eye, I like the look. John
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Build your caboose and show the flag. Just a thought!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Some progress. Since it's cold and snowy up this neck of the woods today, I decided to start detailing the doors and windows. Basically piecing it together as I go.
Attachments
20170211_231204.jpg
20170211_231217.jpg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

OddDuck wrote:Some progress. Since it's cold and snowy up this neck of the woods today, I decided to start detailing the doors and windows. Basically piecing it together as I go.
Excellent craftsmanship.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks BDD, hopefully my hamfisted paint job will cover my woodworking sins, there always seems to be one piece that gets cracked just as you finished with it, and the glue is setting and it's too late to take it off.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

OddDuck wrote: [snip]...there always seems to be one piece that gets cracked just as you finished with it, and the glue is setting and it's too late to take it off.
Prototypical.
~RN