My first caboose build

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: My first caboose build

Post by OddDuck »

Yes, regular old greensand, which is getting to the point where I am seriously considering upgrading. No secrets, really. If you are doing small parts, you may want to look into getting some petrobond sand, the surface quality and detail you can get will be worth it. Same techniques, venting isn't as critical, but it is harder to recondition.
Biggest secret, and 90% of casting sucess is a well thought out and finished pattern. I am still but the merest amateur at this art form. I still find out more often than not "That didn't go quite as I expected..."
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

It's encouraging to see green sand castings with that level of detail! Also, nice job on the caboose. Thanks for the advice, John
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Been working on my bobber caboose, adding the final details so it's not just a box on wheels. I have been going back and forth on what to do for the bolts that "attach" the journal pedestals to the frame. They are really screwed on from the bottom, so the bolt holes on the side are a little redundant. But, that was how the prototype was, and it could be attached that way, so that's how it was cast.
Hex head bolts wouldn't look right for the period, so I decided to go with round headed bolts, with the screwdriver slot filled with JB Weld. Problem was, I couldn't find any that weren't flattish, the dome didn't look right.
Then I hit on an idea, I took a roundish headed bolt and attacked it with a file. A little elbow grease and poof, square head bolts with the correct looking crown to them. They also look like they have a washer behind the bolt head. Bingo! I made up enough, and I think they look pretty darn good, way more period correct. They aren't perfect squares, but close enough.
Attachments
IMG_20181012_182912402~2.jpg
IMG_20181013_142812232~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

That's really clever work on those bolts OD, Nice.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

For what it is worth, a few companies make square-head bolts. Old fashioned blacksmith supply places do, and I used them a bit on my engine. Your idea is pretty creative though.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks guys. Truth be told, I didn't look very hard around here, really. But, all the common "big box" stores had very similar offerings, so for something non-structural $0.97 from Wally Werld seemed like a nice price. I'm not sure that anyone would carry square head in 8/32. Probably not much demand for them. Got the undercarriage more or less completed today, I'll post a pic later.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The catwalks are on and the ends are no longer naked! I'm pretty happy with how the railings came out, they are steel rod drilled through and brazed so they should be plenty rugged. The railings aren't on permanently yet, still have a few things to do to them. Couldn't resist taking a pic to see how they look. Next is ladders, I think I am going to use the same method that I used for the railings. Oh, and a picture of the undercarriage, as promised.
Attachments
IMG_20181015_135955144~2.jpg
IMG_20181017_134429625~2.jpg
IMG_20181017_150442943~2.jpg
IMG_20181017_150430582~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Cupola ladders are done, they turned out nice! Big ladders over the next few days...
Attachments
IMG_20181021_145558838~3.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Latest parts, the ladders for the ends. These were interesting to do, lots of holes to drill in thinnish round stock, and lots of brazing. They aren't perfect, but close enough. The real fun part was when I was trying to braze one of the rungs, and the way I had it held in the vise caused it to droop and break off at the drilled hole. Oops. I managed to get it brazed together and you can't really tell where it broke.
Next steps are to finish a few details that would be hard to do with the railings and ladders installed and then permanently mount the railings, etc.
Attachments
IMG_20181024_155846738.jpg
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Looking great!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

These little details, looking really good, by the way, will make the bobber look amazing. All trains deserve a caboose!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Here's what the ladder looks like on the caboose...
Attachments
IMG_20181025_132729390.jpg