F3 drive identification

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Caribou Doug

Re: F7 Drive BUILDER LOCATED

Post by Caribou Doug »

NEW Update....

Thanks to Dick Morris and some handy computer work, I received a call from an extremely excited Terry Babic who is the builder of the F7. Terry and Wife Kathy were extremely glad I reached out to them and even more excited to hear that the locomotive is still around. I managed to get a few details from Terry and the build which took him through many experimental designs. I heard bits and pieces of how much wiring they watched turn glowing orange and how many designs it took to lead them to their final configuration. We are planning a visit for them both to get reacquainted and visit to see it in person and also planning to let them have some run time as well. Terry has offered to make copies of photos that were taken during the build and share them as desired. As for drawings and plans for the locomotive, Terry stated that the drawings wiring schematics were supplied to the person I picked her up from so I will be trying to get them soon.

Doug
kcjones611

Re: F3 drive identification

Post by kcjones611 »

Ive actually thought about this before but never really found out if it would work. Any wiring schematics yet?

Also does this system have dynamic braking? Thanks!!
Nick P.
Chattanooga, TN

Jesse Livingston's "Newbie"
Allen Models Mogul, #573
Backyard Rails/MDM F7A & B, Southern Pacific #6351

Too many other projects to think about.
Steggy

Re: F3 drive identification

Post by Steggy »

kcjones611 wrote:Ive actually thought about this before but never really found out if it would work.
When I was in the design phase of my F7 I likewise considered prototypical propulsion. I set it aside for a variety of technical reasons, not the least of which was finding wound field DC motors capable of a continuous 2 to 2.5 horsepower each. Such animals did exist at the time but were too large to fit within the confines of 1.6 inch scale trucks. Permanent magnet motors, while somewhat more compact in the same horsepower range, do not have the characteristics of wound field motors, especially when operated series-wound, so they were never in consideration. My build log describes the alternative to electric propulsion that I devised.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D