Keeping the fire Going

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

kcameron

Re: Keeping the fire Going

Post by kcameron »

David,

How often do you rake the fire?? It is normal to do that to break up clumps while it burns.Normal cycle is alternating raking with adding coal. Two reasons: break up clumps, knock ash/clinker down into the ash pan. Now good anthracite won't have much clinker, but there is always some non-burning parts to the coal. Same time as raking, you check for holes in the fire, see where you will toss the next spoon of coal, see how fast it is burning so you know how soon to stoke again.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Hi Ken,

Understand, I have now fired my loco only once now. What seemed to happen, whenever the coal finally was burning, if I disturbed it in any way, it would go out. Also, the coal never really seemed to be burning everywhere, just mostly near the front of the grate near the tube sheet. As you say, there was not much clinker or even ash. The ash pan was almost clean. But, the coal would seem to fuse together and choke the air supply. I may have been adding too much coal too soon.

I am a member of FLLS. Might there be a possibility of getting together with someone from the club, at the track some weekend to offer some teaching help for firing a small locomotive?

I sent an email to Ed McC. several days ago, have not heard from him. Is he okay?

David
Fender

Post by Fender »

I have experimented with anthracite also, although not with rice size. I am very surprised to hear that you are having problems with fusing, because the ash content is very low in anthracite. Since you say that the boiler comes up to pressure very quickly, I believe the problem may be too much draft, and thereby excessive firebed temperatures, when firing up. I would suggest using less draft and steaming the boiler more slowly.
For me, the best results have been with a 50/50 mix of anthracite and soft coal. Straight anthracite is very unforgiving, and it is easy to lose the fire if it gets too low on fuel or the draft is interrupted for any amount of time. Smaller sizes seem to work better than large pieces.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

What fender said. I get a good wood fire going, usually small bits of hardwood soaked in kerosene, then stoke with bituminus. Once I have a really good bed of bt., I will work in thin chunks of anthracite, but straight anthracite is death to my fires. Eventually, I can add the hard coal, but not exclusively. I know a fellow with the identical A5a Camelback, who starts with anthracite and fires all day, without issues. It's your locomotive and your technique. Give your fire air and learn from practice.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Fender

Post by Fender »

Another thought: The charcoal briquettes may be the source of your fusing/clinker problems. I have a foundry furnace fired with charcoal, and there is enough clay binder in the briquettes to form some impressive clinkers. That doesn't happen with lump charcoal, although the lumps throw more sparks than the briquettes.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Thanks Guys,,

Yes, I am going to abandon the briquettes and start with wood soaked kerosene. I work in a wood shop and some hard maple cut up into small cubes should be no problem.

It also looks like the majority of folks, if they use anthracite at all, are mixing it 50/50 with soft coal. This is probably the direction I will have to go.

David
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

With the smaller scale locos I have found starting with natural lump charcoal keeps the tubes cleaner longer than starting with wood. The moisture content and creosote seems to soot things up faster as it makes the tubes sticky. I really load the firebox up with charcoal that I squirt lighter fluid on first. Generally adding a bit more charcoal as the coal bed collapses. About that time I'm showing steam pressure and put the coal to it. When that coal is burning I'm on the blower.
Briquets are good for steaks but lousy in small locos.
Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Didn't Billy Joel write a song about this?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Thanks PRR5406 for that!!

By the way, I have ordered some bituminous coal and I should have it sometime next week. We'll see what happens.

David