How to make portable flexible track?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

apm

How to make portable flexible track?

Post by apm »

I am in the process of making a test track for my new locomotive so I can start her up at home prior to taking it anywhere. The goal for this track is to make it so it is somewhat portable, though in the near future I wouldn't mind trying to turn it into a simple loop around the house. For building the track I went with 3/8" x1" stock with welded on 3/16 x 1" steel ties as seen in the photo below.

I made two panels 20ft long with 6" tie spacing and those things were stiff as can be. I tried going to a 1ft spacing with a 3rd panel but that one isn't much better. So far things are turning out far too stiff to make real curves out of. Ideally rather than make some curved sections it would be nice if I could make some sort of flexible segments of track. Kind of like they do in HO scale. Anyone know ever seen a good design for flexible and portable track? I am aware of the groovy rail system, but I am not sure how good that will do in the "portable category.
Attachments
Track.jpg
Gary Armitstead

Re: How to make portable flexible track?

Post by Gary Armitstead »

You didn't mention what gauge you are building.........

Not necessarily flex track, but it is portable and not very expensive. 7-1/2 inch gauge West Coast aluminum rail on Enterprise Plastics ties. I bend the rail to my specific radius with a $225 rail bender from Eaton Custom Engineering. You can space the ties to any distance you want and the rail is fastened to the ties with 1 inch long, #10 SS screws. Eventually I will lay this track around our house. Each panel weighs about 25 pounds per 10 ft. length.

At this time, I had about 140 feet of track. My inventory now stands at 250 feet. Some straight, some at 25 ft. radius. Test locomotives and rolling stock.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Erskine Tramway

Re: How to make portable flexible track?

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Hi apm......

To have flexible track, one rail has to be able to slide on the ties. You could do that by 'restraining' the rail in gauge with, say, pieces of angle welded to the ties, in effect 'groovy' track. Another consideration is that, when curved, the rail ends will move in relation to each other. The inside curved rail will 'stick out' further than the outside. In H0, you take care of that by trimming the long rail at joints. The whole thing wouldn't be too handy to carry around, unless both rails were loose, and you 'distributed' the ties, then put the rails into the 'chairs'. I think you'd be better served by building giant 'Snap Track' with pre-curved sections, the way Decauville did with their field railways.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired