Truck bearings split

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dale_F

Truck bearings split

Post by Dale_F »

All 8 bearings on my trucks have destroyed themselves. Each bearing basically split around the middle and the needles then fell out. Fortunately the failure did not damage the axle - but my tender did not roll real well. I am trying to find a source to replace the bearings - they have "INA BCH 06604" stamped around the outer diameter of the closed end of the bearing. I have attached some photos of the bearings. My question to this group is what did I do wrong that destroyed the bearings. I suspect that there are thousands of these same trucks out there - why did mine fail? Thanks.
IMG_1017 [9101095].JPG
IMG_1018 [9101096].JPG
IMG_1019 [9101097].JPG
Dale_F

Re: Truck bearings split

Post by Dale_F »

The manufacturer graciously offered to replace the bearings for the cost of postage and suggested that I make sure the bearings fit tightly into the trucks. I am looking forward to being back on the rails shortly.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi all

I guess now is the time to discuss my thoughts on the use o ball or needle bearings in car trucks. I have never use either of them in any of my trucks. I feel that the sealing factor is lost as most builders allow the bearing to freely move about a bigger hole then the bearing, This flaw is why this gentlemen's truck bearings have failed. If you notice they are worn out in the middle where most of the contact with the side frame occurs.

I have always used a bronze self aliening type bearing that I manufacture. They give years o service. there is simply no need to use any type o ball or needle bearing on trucks in the hobby.

YEA YEA YEA I know I will get flack over this statement but I have seen this malfunction occur many time over the last 50 years.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Well educated guess is that the failure is primarily caused by constant mis-alignment.

Considering the environment, needle bearings would be my last choice, even IF the seals worked correctly.

Believe it or not, I agree with Dave that a bronze bearing is quite satisfactory, although I have found that the Purinton method of using sealed bearings in a swinging truck bolster is also quite good (and has given me and many others long service).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bill Donati

Post by Bill Donati »

You can purchase from J and J 10995 canal road Cincinnati, Ohio 45241 phone # is 513-77-8000 their in house part # is JNN -130-05000-100 should cost about 1.00 .
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Trainman4602 wrote:Hi all

I guess now is the time to discuss my thoughts on the use o ball or needle bearings in car trucks. I have never use either of them in any of my trucks. I feel that the sealing factor is lost as most builders allow the bearing to freely move about a bigger hole then the bearing, This flaw is why this gentlemen's truck bearings have failed. If you notice they are worn out in the middle where most of the contact with the side frame occurs.

I have always used a bronze self aliening type bearing that I manufacture. They give years o service. there is simply no need to use any type o ball or needle bearing on trucks in the hobby.

YEA YEA YEA I know I will get flack over this statement but I have seen this malfunction occur many time over the last 50 years.
Your assessment is spot on. that is the main reason my ten wheeler is riding on bronze.
imho the only way to control this is to add a seat for the bearing to ride in that will float with the bearing (same idea as the floating crown), that will allow the load to spread across the full race.
or having floating journals so the bearings have a firm seat to ride.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I've noticed some of the truck designs could cause this. They have nothing bridging from one truck side to the other, relying on the axle ends and bearings to retain alignment. Needle bearings have a very high surface speed and aren't a good way to go for durability but obviously are low profile and fit the bill for looking like the real thing. However, an axle turning 400 rpm (about 6-7mph for 1.5 scale) could be spinning each "needle" at over 2000 rpm. As a result these have poor life-span and require very clean and well lubricated conditions to last. On my scratch-build work in progress, I'm giving up the prototypical look for something that will last:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/92645399

At over 1700#'s load rating each, these should last forever if kept well greased, and are self aligning so if there is truck flex, it will not oddly load the bearings. They are cheap. They heave grease fittings. I can unbolt them and replace them from the outside without even removing the train from the tracks. No need to take the truck apart.