Track question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cp4449

Track question

Post by cp4449 »

Has anyone out there done a gauntlet track with two sets of rails within the outer wider set of rails, and how did you get the inner rails through the outer rail gracefully? I know you need frogs. The two tracks I ham talking about would be West Coast rail on the outside, 5/8" rail on the inside. Photos? Any manufactures for the frogs?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
ccvstmr

Re: Track question

Post by ccvstmr »

cp...haven't done this personally, but would think it's easy enough to do. Sorry, don't have any photos...check the internet. Appears you're already aware what a gauntlet track involves. Two routes sharing a narrow right-of-way. In the real world...this could be used over a bridge/trestle, tunnel or in some cases...bring a passenger train closer to the platform.

It's not that there's one set of rail inside another...more like, one set of rails that interleave or overlap. In most cases you will need (2) frogs...there's no way around that (unless you want to butt the rails up to the side and slot the rails), but you won't need any switch points (unless you're doing a station platform gauntlet...in which case you'll need 2 sets of point and no frogs).

If the traffic thru the intended area is NOT bi-directional on both tracks, might suggest as an alternate (2) straight turnouts with sprung points. If the turnouts are set for "right-hand" running, you can accomplish the same thing and nobody has to throw the switches. If the common track is long (relative), you might consider some kind of signaling system to prevent a head-on. Hope that helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!