Having fun at your club?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

chiloquinruss

Having fun at your club?

Post by chiloquinruss »

What activity is the most fun that you and your group does at your home club? Russ
FLtenwheeler

Re: Having fun at your club?

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Insult each other.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

After the free cheeseburgers, the most fun we have is trading stories and showing each other our latest projects. We sometimes have to force ourselves to run because we are having so much fun talking.
Matt Mason
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Got that right Matt. May not get much railroading done, but when there's food to be had, everybody eats pretty good! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Thanks for the replies. We have the food part down pretty good! :D I like the 'show and tell' - that has possibilities. Thanks. Russ
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

So the club ladies out together a 'progressive dinner' at the club. We rode our trains down to Midway Circle and had horderves, re-boarded the trains and headed up to Central for the main course, then after dinner we re-boarded and headed over to the Klamath and Western for dessert! :D While doing this they also set up a 'poker run'! Congrats ladies it was really fun. :mrgreen: I'm ready to do it again. (Having fun at your club?) Russ
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! I've enjoyed progressive dinners and poker runs on our sidecar motorcycle, but never by train!
And Train Mountain would be the place to do that. Wish I could have joined you for that event.
~RN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

chiloquinruss wrote:So the club ladies out together a 'progressive dinner' at the club. We rode our trains down to Midway Circle and had horderves, re-boarded the trains and headed up to Central for the main course, then after dinner we re-boarded and headed over to the Klamath and Western for dessert! :D While doing this they also set up a 'poker run'! Congrats ladies it was really fun. :mrgreen: I'm ready to do it again. (Having fun at your club?) Russ

wow,, that is awesome.
for me some of the best times at the club is sitting around the steaming bay chatting. running is secondary on small tracks. but a "poker run" would be a awesome thing to do on a track like TM.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

For the past two years The Annetta Valley & Western RR has hosted a "Trick or Train" run. We place adults (in costume) at each station around the railroad with candy to give out. Back at Terry Town station we load up the kids on the train, and take them from station to station and let them "Trick or Treat". We start with a hotdog meal. Has been very well received, and we plan to do it this year as well.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My favorite activities at Kitsap Live Steamers (Port Orchard, WA) has been hauling the public, plus all the steaming bay sharing and chatter.
I miss those activities. The woods of Northern Oregon are beautiful, but 2+ hours from the nearest live steam club. Eventually...
-RN
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I have been a member of the Manitoba Live Steamers & Model Engineers for nearly 40 years and all of "the regulars" are dear friends. Sundays during the nicer months is Steaming Day and there are 4 or 5 who most always come out. I like to load up my 1-1/2 American or my Winnipeg Electric Company 1-1/2 street car in the early morning.usually by 8 a.m., stop at a local gas station to grab a bottle of pop and a little pizza sub (sandwich) for lunch, and make the hour drive to the track.

I am usually the first one there and take my time getting unloaded. At some point the property owner usually shows up and we have a chat. Eventually I light a fire (in the steam engine of course!) and usually others start to show up before steam is up. The necessitates a bit more chatting :) but eventually I get under way. The American isn't very fast so I like to get some running in while I am the only one on the ground level track. An hour at a time is about all I can do before my knees and hips start getting stiff. When others are running, I usually take a break and visit/watch others. If I am feeling ambitious, I will fire up again and have another run before lunch.

Lunch happens sometime between 11:30 and 12:00 and everybody takes a break to eat together, to chat, to kibitz, to share information, and to find out what is happening with each other. Lunch can go on for awhile! After lunch, if it is a nice day, I may fire up again for another run before loading up to head home.

I couldn't really say which I enjoy more - running or the fellowship. Both together are a winning combination!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Something about driving a train around *while* eating a big cheeseburger sounds very appealing to me!