New board on chaski.org devoted to Miniature Railway Signaling?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: New board on chaski.org devoted to Miniature Railway Signaling?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I'm not a fan of breaking up the site into yet another sub-forum. When you get too many, they don't get used. There is another forum for a different hobby I look at that has 57 subforums, and as a result it's almost impossible to navigate. Here, an argument could also be made for a boiler subforum, one on brakes, another on piping, one for I.C. powered locos, one for battery control, and so on. I think the question to ask is how many posts are there for a given topic, and how many users are active on the forum? If a specialized topic sees many separate posts that are peripheral to the forum they are posted in, then yes, a new subforum might be warranted. But I don't think a few posts, even if those happen to run during a short period of time, rise to that level. The grand scale forum has seen only 37 posts since it was created a year ago, and I still think many of the topics covered there are of interest to all scales and could be discussed in the main live steam forum.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Greg. Your comments are spot on, and the chief reason why I've resisted the idea of adding another sub forum. I fully expect that once the dust settles, that topic won't get a lot of attention.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Harold...don't disagree with Greg...I do see some benefit from more "defined" sub forums. Would sure makes it easier to search for subjects within the sub forums as opposed to the searching thru the larger one-size-fits all forums. Having said that, I don't see anything wrong with sub-forums going dormant...until a new comment or question is posted. The info is there and somewhat categorized when needed.

However, and you and I had this discussion before Harold...the problem is not so much the number of sub-forums...it's having enough moderators available to "keep the peace" and "maintain civility" on all those sub forums. Time is a critical element in today's world. I'm backed up with projects...not only for myself, but contract work for others...and have a few more orders in the making. So I understand your reluctance to have to watch over more sub-forums...even with the help of the other moderators listed.

At the least I'd like to say...THANK YOU (and the other moderators) for keeping this board going as it has for what...15 or 16 years?

Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!