New board on chaski.org devoted to Miniature Railway Signaling?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: New board on chaski.org devoted to Miniature Railway Signaling?

Post by rkcarguy »

I would love to see a sub-forum that all of the signal threads and pictures could be moved to, I think it would be a valuable one stop shop for a bunch of info. The signal threads sure get a lot of views.
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

rkcarguy wrote:I would love to see a sub-forum that all of the signal threads and pictures could be moved to, I think it would be a valuable one stop shop for a bunch of info. The signal threads sure get a lot of views.
... but not a lot of answers to my last questions of dino, et. al., so maybe not so much ....
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I don't know why that is, it seems to be the general way the forum works, tons of views but not a lot of responses.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Guys...I'm sure "dino" will be responding in time. He suffered a heart attack at the start of last week. He's home for now. Has surgery scheduled in about a month to correct some "plumbing issues". I can tell you with a high degree of certainty...BDD is very interested in signal system practices with an eye towards prototypic operation. Having said that, the importance of equipment reliability and fail safe controls takes the highest priority. When BDD was developing his signal system, the local club threw every conceivable problem from previous signal systems along with a few more from observing other club signal systems...and was successful in designing those problems out of the control system.

I will add...signal systems are NOT for everybody or every club. There are plenty of hobbyists that would just assume ride around in circles...and watch for the caboose or FRED in front of them. To each his own. Thru all the discussion posts on Chaski regarding signal systems...one element has been omitted. That is, the human element. A signal system is ONLY as good as the people using it. Sadly, you can tell some people the difference between "permissive" and "absolute" signals...but they just don't get it! The concept will most likely sink in when their actions are responsible for an accident (don't wish that upon anyone).

High greens for now! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm sorry to hear that I didn't have a clue what happened to him.
Best wishes "Dino" and hope you have a speedy recovery!
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

ccvstmr wrote:Guys...I'm sure "dino" will be responding in time. He suffered a heart attack at the start of last week.
Dino: I hope you're doing better now. Make sure you get a warranty from the doctors! :-)
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Entering my "Get Well Soon" too for Dino.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Thanks for the well-wishes, gentlemen.

I'm in a weakened state from this little cardio-contretemps, as well as the drugs I am having to take to maintain stability, but am otherwise upright with a pulse. As Carl noted, the cardio-pipefitter will soon be going to work on me in hopes of preventing a re-occurrence. It'll be really major surgery, retubing the boiler, as it were—followed by as much as 10 weeks of recovery. Gee, I just can't wait! :evil:
ChuckHackett-844 wrote:Make sure you get a warranty from the doctors! :-)
Ha! With my luck my heart will again go on the fritz right after the warranty runs out. :twisted:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

That is a VERY optimistic, positive report dino : )

Good for You!

I hear in celebration of your return... they are creating a new forum board here at chaski in your honor.
(I read it somewhere on the Internet ; )

...mean while... back on topic, HA!

John ; )
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Would that be the signaling forum? :)
I think it would be worthwhile to at least combine all the threads if nothing else.
I'm glad you are still with us Dino, hope that your "rebuild" goes well.
I am now dealing with the $4,000 in coinsurance bills from my 2mm kidney stone ugh.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:I hear in celebration of your return... they are creating a new forum board here at chaski in your honor.
(I read it somewhere on the Internet ; )
That's interesting, as those of us who are involved in such a change are not privy to the idea.

There's nothing wrong with having a dedicated forum for a given topic, assuming it will get used. I've made mention previously that it most likely will not, as once the topic has been explored, it will subside, with only the occasional visit paid by those with curiosity. Those who have an interest can do a search, right now, and find related topics.

That said, I mentioned that if there is need, it will happen. It's not hard for related threads to be transferred to a new forum, so continue the discussion and prove the need. When it's obvious it's important, it will happen.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Harold, I think you'll find even a combined thread will be repeatedly viewed and the information used by the viewer, but they may not post up anything. I know I have read replies on my threads via my phone when I'm out at the property, but find it difficult and very slow to write something and post using it. I tend to wait until I'm at a desktop and then post. Others may not have the luxury of a smart phone and/or high speed internet so their experience could be far worse. To be honest, my only options at my property are currently satellite, 4G via my phone, or wireless internet IF I can get a dish above all the trees. Most providers will not extend high speed fiber optic based internet to a low density area if the return on investment is longer than 10 months grrrrrr...
I think a single thread full of DIY builds, parts information, vendor information for those who just want to buy signals and controls, wiring, and the like would be very informational for everyone and worth doing.
For example, I'm part of a boating forum that has a "vault", so valuable information like pictures part #'s and how to's, service manuals that aren't available anymore, and the like are combined into one thread and put in the vault. I have one that I started and post to often regarding the older Volvo 4-cylinder marine engines. A new member comes onto the board asking the same questions about the same common issues, they can be simply directed to the proper vault thread.