Polling pockets on trucks?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Polling pockets on trucks?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Was at the Washington State Museum in Tacoma last week and saw these trucks under a cutaway display passenger car. These surely aren't passenger trucks; I think the lettering on the bolster reads "Monitor". But what was interesting to me was what looks like polling pockets on the ends of the trucks. Yes? I hadn't seen that before. Perhaps they were originally logging trucks? But somehow I don't see anyone with a measurable IQ ever trying to pole logging trucks. I think that would be a ticket to trouble.
IMG_6353a.jpg
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Ken Schroeder

Re: Polling pockets on trucks?

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I have seen poling pockets like this on some old tank cars.

Ken
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Wow! If I am understanding the picture correctly, it looks to me like that truck is backwards under that car; wouldn't the pockets want to face the car ends?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Kimball:

Yes, the pockets face the car ends. The car is a re-created cutaway of an 1870s era passenger car. The center of the car is cut through so museum visitors can walk from one side to the other. Also, one side of the car is cut away so visitors can see what the inside of such a car would look like.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

These kinda go with the archbar trucks under the steam big hook in Ely, NV. They are probably the only ones in the world with Timken Roller Bearing journals. Long story.
Cary
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hmm, when I read this thread, I wondered to myself - "what would anyone do with a poling pocket on a truck - particularly a scale model flat car?"

Well the very next day, I found out. Tried to push my little 1/4 scale flat car loaded with 35 big cement blocks out of the yard and up a very slight incline on some unballasted track I am laying on one end of my backyard RR. Wouldn't budge over the hump.

Finally managed to manhandle it over the unballasted hump by inserting the tip of a shovel into a notch above the coupler and leaning mightily on the handle. No place else on the car offered a solid anchoring point.

Now I see why I need a poling pocket on my work car! Another project with a rounded endmill and RT is on the horizon methinks.

-Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....