Searchlight signal build?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Searchlight signal build?

Post by rkcarguy »

I've got some parts coming to build a few dwarf signals based on the same design my searchlight signals are built upon, except these will be mostly metal with only a plastic and glass high-intensity LED light "assembly" that will thread into the body. These will depict a single lens, multi-color dwarf signal used to signal a siding or spur that is merging onto the mainline, or can be used to display switch point position, with red and yellow aspects.
Research shows that while these used the standard searchlight signal head and were capable of displaying green, green was seldom if ever used and was not wired, so I don't see a need for a green light in this one.
Liesegang

Post by Liesegang »

Referencing your relay description: What happens when train in block one is going east bound and train in block is three going west bound, both trains will get a yellow signal. What is to prevent a cornfield meet if they both pass the signal(s) at same time? Or is this a single direction line?

I know this can and does happen, I have responsibility for approximately eight miles of signaled track on MLS. I put in a priority scheme to prevent the situation from happening. Inbound trains have priority and will present a red aspect instead of a yellow aspect to the outbound train in the case I cited.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

My RR has a fairly simple plan, I'm running a pair of reversing loops at each end of a single mainline with one passing siding in the middle. So the "road rules" will define that all passing will occur at this siding. I'm also going to be leaving the turnouts set for downhill=siding, uphill=mainline, with sprung points on both ends. For my small 5 block backyard RR, it should be pretty bulletproof. If I was a club with more trains and track, I'd look into something with more "logic" for sure.