Southern Pacific C-30 Caboose Drawing Package

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

dash9

Southern Pacific C-30 Caboose Drawing Package

Post by dash9 »

Seen this in Discover live steam, A print package to make a Southern Pacific C-30 Caboose. Has any one tried it from him. Seems most want from 20 bucks to 40 bucks for prints. He wants 105.00 is it worth it? Thanks :D
Attachments
IMGP3040.JPG
rkcarguy

Re: Southern Pacific C-30 Caboose Drawing Package

Post by rkcarguy »

Well done, but seems a bit steep. Does he offer prices for digital scans?
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I believe that is the Hugh Jackman car?

One of our brethren here has been posting about building his with those plans and superdetailing.

Might surf the search function.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Keith Jackman my bad.

Robert Williams. Contact him for feedback.

Here is the link to his thread. Be prepared to
be humbled and impressed:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... od+caboose
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

It was a stunning sight to show up at one of the meets of the SVLS group in Rancho Cordova several years back and see the Keith Jackman C-30 caboose going around the track. I had wanted to build one for many years and suddenly, here was my dream caboose right in front of me. At that time Keith was still refining the drawing package and did not offer them to the public. Soon though I had a set and was on the way to my build. The drawings were created from measurements taken off the caboose on display in Colfax Ca. Problem here is the caboose was a former NWP caboose with only 9 windows instead of the usual 10 windows. It was easy enough to add the missing window and kick up some other details such as fully functional doors and a full interior. With few ready made parts, the build requires advanced skills in model building to be successful. A small lathe and mill can be of great help. A table saw and a scroll saw will make the wood working part of the build far easier. A table router is also a good tool to have.

One could back date the caboose by building the slant side cupola that was original to these caboose back in the days of original construction. As the slant side cupola cabooses experienced road wear and abuse, the SP started rebuilding the cupolas with straight sides in the 1940's. Keith drew up the rebuild cupola version with the straight sides.

The original cabooses all had a standard cellar or tool box. In later years when the conversion to AB brakes was in progress, almost all cabooses lost the tool box. I drew up the tool box and made that item first designing the hardware to connect to the Jackman design frame.

The drawings come in a nice binder all set up in numbered order. There is also a step by step set of directions to guide the average builder through the process of construction. Hard to go wrong with the set of drawings. Well worth the investment as most drawing sets have not step by step directions at all. This is a great guide and time saver, unless one is constantly making upgrades for greater details. Others have used the basic design and instructions to construct the basic caboose and tweak it for their favorite railroad with great results.

Robert