Electric Engine Controllers

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Electric Engine Controllers

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

I have 2 electric 1-1/2" scale locomotives that I am working on. They both have the same permanent magnet traction motor drives. I am looking for wireless (RC) controls that I can MU with.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
rwheller

Re: Electric Engine Controllers

Post by rwheller »

http://www.integralcircuits.com/index.html
They make just what you are looking for if the current isn't too big. The current limit for their largest unit is 150 amps. If you are using only one motor drawing over that limit you can try 4QD. If you are using multiple motors per engine you are in business by just MU'ing them. You can consider a 4QD controller with their R/C interface if you need up to 300 amps. It works with any R/C system like ground cars etc. since it uses a receiver from any maker. I used it in a box cab I built. The only problem is distance. It's not great.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

I've had good luck with the Syren50 controller from Dimension Engineering. A sample wiring diagram can be found here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... eel_Diesel

Be sure to let us know which system you decide to use, and how well it works for you.

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Liesegang

Post by Liesegang »

Regarding the request for information on remote control for 7 1/2" gauge locomotives. Here is what I use.

I use a 4QD-200 controller powering 2 -- 5/8th hp RMI motors. I use 24 volt RMI motors and two yellow top batteries.
A 15:1 gear ratio gear box from RMI.
I built an interface for a simple four function Futaba controller. I have direction, speed, and horn controls, no other functions needed for my application.

The range is about 1/4 mile or so with no problem. I use it every day for my signal maintenance duties at Maricopa Live Steamers in Phoenix, AZ. We have ~ 18 miles of track in use at this time, so it gets a workout every day.

Terry
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

Terry,
Liesegang wrote: I built an interface for a simple four function Futaba controller. I have direction, speed, and horn controls, no other functions needed for my application.
This sound really interesting. If you get a chance, could you post a pic or two of your interface? I'm building a little battery powered M.O.W. unit and bought a Chinese motor controller online for about $60. It says it's capable of 70A which is more than I need. The controller came with a nice pot for speed control and a rocker switch for direction control, but remote operation would be nice.

Thanks,

Joe
Liesegang

Post by Liesegang »

The interface would be a bit more complicated since you have a rocker switch to change direction. The 4QD uses 24 volt / ground input to change direction. Latching relay set and reset by servo contacting micro switches. Servo linkage to pot with mechanical connection for about 120 degree rotation of pot. Horn function has servo closing micro switch to activate high current relay.

The direction and horn use the self centering controls. The speed is controlled by the throttle function.

I have relays in design to switch between remote control and manual operation.

Terry
NCBQGUY

Post by NCBQGUY »

The Dimension Engineering Syren50 seems like a fit to my situation (see thread I started 24v Reversing switch)
The linked wiring diagram does not identify several components nor give specs for them. Could anyone fill in the blanks so I can unspderstand the circuit and order components?
Charlie Vlk
NCBQGUY

Post by NCBQGUY »

Thanks to Daris offline I now understand the SyRen50 circuit. The relays are common 87A parts and wired bases can also be purchased at auto parts stores as can the circuit breakers. The device to the left side of the circuit is an onboard 24v battery charger.
I wired in a new DPDT reversing switch as the Center Cab I bought was based on a Schwinn motor and controller (not too much need to back up a bicycle!!!). It worked great the first try!!! In going through the stuff I got from the seller I found a SyRen50 so I'm good to go with the R/C conversion once the analog road trials are done. If all goes well I'll order a second one for my other electric critter.
Then on to the big challenge....a 2-6-0 (Railroad Supply???) project that I just picked up. I will spend some time at CSME Eagle Point taking photos and making notes on similar Mogul and Ten Wheelers at the club. I've got no machining experience but the chassis looks fairly complete so it should be mostly straight sheet metal and plumbing work....but I'm sure I'll need help big time as that "Build Log" unfolds!!!
Thanks for all who replied to this and my other query on controlling electrics!!!
Charlie Vlk