Handrail Stanchions?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Handrail Stanchions?

Post by rkcarguy »

I've hit a bit of a snag, I'm at the point where it's time to make and mount the grab rails that go on the body above the doors for my Baldwin S12 switcher. As my body is aluminum, it's best that the rails are too. My scale calls for 5/16" diameter rails, so I have some 5/16 aluminum round bar ready to go. I need about a dozen grab rail brackets and I'm at a loss of what to make them from. My only thought so far was to purchase some 1/8th scale aluminum RC car tie-rod ends, press the balls out, and drill them 5/16" and slide the round bar through. Open to better idea's though.
rkcarguy

Re: Handrail Stanchions?

Post by rkcarguy »

tankcar.jpg
Best example I could find a picture of is the brackets on this tank car. The pipe passes through the "eye" on them. The S12's are the same.
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Here is a shot of the Tex-Mex No. 510. Note that she had normal hand rails installed in the 80's, but still retained the originals.

Britt
Attachments
Texas Mexican, No. 510. Baldwin DS-4-4-750, 1949
Texas Mexican, No. 510. Baldwin DS-4-4-750, 1949
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Precision Steel Car sells some really nice EMD switcher detail parts including various handrail stanchions and mounts.

Don't know if any of them would work for the Baldwin but it might be worth a look.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

They do sell an oversize handrail stanchion that is 7 1/2" long so that you can cut it to length. Might be long enough for his use.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Thanks for the mention of PSC, they have some nice detail parts and good prices on them. The grab rail brackets are too small however, for my scale.
Also, thank you for the close up shot of the Baldwin, that has some great detail in it I haven't been able to get in most photo's.
I'm going to use a combo of round bar and 1/2x1/8 flat bar for my railings on the end, I'll only need a pair of short stanchions for the railings behind the front steps. I want the sides open for ease of working on the innards and less railing has less chance of getting damaged.
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

rkcarguy wrote:Thanks for the mention of PSC, they have some nice detail parts and good prices on them. The grab rail brackets are too small however, for my scale.
Also, thank you for the close up shot of the Baldwin, that has some great detail in it I haven't been able to get in most photo's.
I'm going to use a combo of round bar and 1/2x1/8 flat bar for my railings on the end, I'll only need a pair of short stanchions for the railings behind the front steps. I want the sides open for ease of working on the innards and less railing has less chance of getting damaged.
I'm trying to find more shots of her. When I do, I'll post them up.

Britt

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

sp2120_0001.jpg
This is the Locomotive I'm modeling. The rails don't turn down at the front like that one.
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Over 900 pictures of a Baldwin S12 are here: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?mid=344

Quite a few different photo angles can be found to fill in additional or missing engine details.

JDA
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

rkcarguy, have you figured our the hand rail stanchions yet? You can do a quick and easy body stanchion using steel cotter pins. They work great and you really have to look close to notice that they are cotter pins. I used them also for the coupler release bar brackets.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I am using a 5/16 aluminum round bar for the straight portions, and I'll likely form the bent portions with brass or stainless steel.
In my scale that's an actual size of 1-7/8" diameter.
I haven't found anything big enough that will make a good stanchion, so I moved onto making the grille and getting the headlight tube coped to fit together with everything up front/top there.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

What scale are you building?