SD60F

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

NinARM1

SD60F

Post by NinARM1 »

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed blueprint of the GMD SD60F, in particular the HT-C trucks used on the locomotive? Thinking of building one and the trucks seem like a good place to start.
rkcarguy

Re: SD60F

Post by rkcarguy »

I find a lot of drawings online, but they just don't have any dimensions to them. Seems like if you could scan them and somehow scale something a known size, you could add dimensions to everything as needed.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I just read a blurb about the promentory locos 119 and such being scaled from pictures by using the known size of the wheels. Aince no blueprints have survived save for the boiler of one, it was the only way to draw any prints with any accuracy. One engineer sat with dial calipers and used benchmarks in the photos to get the layout and sizes of both engines, since they originated from diferent builders. Now is the wheel size 40 inch or 36? 36 would be easy.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

I use a program called ScalePrint http://raildriver.com/products/cycloped ... .print.php

All you need is one known dimension, and you can print a photo or drawing out at any scale you want.
I've been using it to make my drawings of Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge equipment.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's what I've had to do for some things on my S12. I've been working from an HO model and then getting check dimensions from drawings. Usually you can work from a known wheel size or CL-to-CL of the axles which can usually be found online.
I figured out the multiplier, and whenever I need to work from the HO scale model I take a measurement and then x 14.7 gives me my size in my scale(2").