Rock Island 90000 Series Flatcar Info?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

VIMEguy

Rock Island 90000 Series Flatcar Info?

Post by VIMEguy »

Hello
I am seeking information on Rock Island RR 90000 Series flatcars. Specifically the side rail details, as I wish to model one in 1/8 Scale. The the Rock Island Technical Society dose not appear to be active on the internet any more, otherwise I would have tried there. If anyone on this forum has information or a contact I could correspond with regarding this, could they please send me a private message.
Thanks
Don W
ccvstmr

Re: Rock Island 90000 Series Flatcar Info?

Post by ccvstmr »

Don...while I don't have any info that I know of (unless there's something in a Car Builder's Cyclopedia), I would suggest contacting the guys at PSC...Precision Steel Car. Some of their rolling stock kits are based on Rock Island prototypes. They might have some info that can help you. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Don,

This car was manufactured in the ACF plant in Detriot in 1922. It was ACF lot number 9538. The lot was for a quantity of 250 - 50 ton flat cars. The decks were 53ft6inches long. The coupled length was 57ft0inches.
The cars were shown to have been rebuilt by the RR in 1937,1938, 1940 & 1941
The car diagram showed 15 stake pockets per side. The sides were composed of 3 panels and 2 cover plates. The two end plates were longer than the center plate.

The drawings may be available at St Louis Museum of Transportation
Dosant contact is Ed Hawkins. His email is: hawk0621@sbcglobal.net
Ed has a wonderful database of the drawings at the museum. Based on the lot number 9538, he should be able to send you a list of all the appropriate drawings that the museum has. Then the fun starts, contact the museum and send them his list. It has the storage locations on it.

Photographs may be available from St Louis Mercantile Library - John W Barriger III Railroad Library -
Contact Nick Fry - 314-516-7253
Check their web site, they have a lot of photos up on Flickr

Hope this helps.

mark_landgraf at yahoo.com

Please let me know how you make out.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »