Insulating fluid for connections?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Insulating fluid for connections?

Post by Kimball McGinley »

What are people using to protect and insulate electrical connections that are too awkward to wrap with tape? An example would be the "Hot" battery post with the side studs. I don't like the rubber covers, but I have seen a red liquid that is meant to be brushed on? And, where to get? Please advise, thanks.
SteveM

Re: Insulating fluid for connections?

Post by SteveM »

I've used "liquid electrical tape". The one I have is made by Star Brite and you can get it at home despot. I've had no problems with it.

I'm sure you can get a better one at a professional electrical supply. Gardner Bender makes it.

Steve
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Kimball McGinley wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 am I don't like the rubber covers, but I have seen a red liquid that is meant to be brushed on? And, where to get? Please advise, thanks.
I recommend that you use the rubber covers. Any paint on fluid such as "liquid tape" is going to be very thin and not protect from anything except moisture.

Getting something that conducts a lot of electricity (like a wrench, screwdriver, etc.) across a battery can get VERY exciting - a.k.a. deadly!
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Glyptol. Google will find it for you. It will protect against a bit more than just moisture, but a sharp blow will chip it. Better to use the rubber boots if at all possible. You only need a boot on the ungrounded terminal.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ChuckHackett-844 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 pm
Kimball McGinley wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 am I don't like the rubber covers, but I have seen a red liquid that is meant to be brushed on? And, where to get? Please advise, thanks.
I recommend that you use the rubber covers. Any paint on fluid such as "liquid tape" is going to be very thin and not protect from anything except moisture.

Getting something that conducts a lot of electricity (like a wrench, screwdriver, etc.) across a battery can get VERY exciting - a.k.a. deadly!
I second Chuck's recommendation. Protecting battery terminals from accidental contact, especially from that wrench you are swinging, is not a place to be taking short cuts. If the battery is outgassing any hydrogen and you generate a spark you are likely to end up wearing the battery's innards, including the acid. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Batteries generate so little hydrogen in normal operation that a hydrogen fire around a battery in an open space is quite unlikely. What is likely (and is *worse*) when you short the terminals of a fully-charged lead-acid battery is a steam explosion when all the energy stored in the battery is rapidly turned into heat inside the battery.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

John Hasler wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:34 pmBatteries generate so little hydrogen in normal operation...
True while under load. However, charging causes outgassing in non-sealed batteries, which can produce enough hydrogen to create an explosion hazard.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Here on our lake someone was servicing a boat at the dock and accidentally dropped something across the battery. It exploded sending him to the hospital - hydrogen or steam who cares - it makes for a bad day ...
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
John Hasler wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:34 pmBatteries generate so little hydrogen in normal operation...
True while under load. However, charging causes outgassing in non-sealed batteries, which can produce enough hydrogen to create an explosion hazard.
In an enclosed space in which it is allowed to accumulate, yes. The explosion that happens when you drop a wrench across the terminals is not a hydrogen explosion, however. Detonating the hydrogen/oxygen mixture in the small open spaces above each cell would barely blow the caps off. Shorting a car battery, though, causes it to dissipate all the power it has (on the order of 10 kw) in its internal resistance, turning it into a sulfuric acid boiler made of plastic. Even if the case doesn't split it will produce a geyser of boiling hot acid within seconds.

I came close to doing it once. Dropped the wrench and the battery began to make a terrifying hissing sound. I stayed and yanked the wrench off while everyone else ran. Foolish, but I got away with it. That time. I don't intend for there to be another.
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

For that very reason, a lot of the boats, both commercial and pleasure, around here have a dedicated battery wrench. A half inch wrench with the handle entirely wrapped in electrical tape. And my insurer required that my batteries have covered boxes so no other wrench would drop on them when doing other maintenance on the engine.
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle