Koster powered trucks

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

skid-roe

Koster powered trucks

Post by skid-roe »

I found a pair of Koster's powered switcher trucks.
There are 4 wires per motor & no name plates, does anyone what the voltage they are and motor wiring hook up?
Ken Roeh
Attachments
P1010030.JPG
P1010031.JPG
P1010032.JPG
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Koster powered trucks

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Those look similar to the old cannonball motors. Very inefficient motors, high current drain for the work you get out of them. If you use the trucks I would find replacement permanent magnet motors to replace the old 4 wire field wound motors.
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

Call Bill Koster. 863-314-2841
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

I had a couple of those motors. They were re-purposed surplus Westinghouse aircraft starter motors. 24 Vdc series wound. The motors were rewired to split off the armature from the field. Idea was to introduce a back EMF voltage (think reverse the polarity of the field) using a motor controller circuit for braking. When I was studying electrical engineering at Cal Poly Pomona, (back in the dark ages during the early 1980's), I had a couple of those motors for a motor speed controller circuit design in an independent study course. Electric motor controllers have come a long way since then...
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Are those the same motor that he put in the 4 wheel switcher?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member